Tinnitus Costs the UK Society £2.7 Billion Per Year

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Localboy, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Prevention is already being done but unfortunately people just don't understand or don't care. When they say that 15% of all people have tinnitus most people go: "Well that's a really small chance. 85% don't ever get it. I'll be fine, no need to wear earplugs.". On some festivals and concerts here in Sweden earplugs are handed out for free and still pretty much nobody wears them.

Just look at something like HIV. There isn't a single adult in the West, and probably in most other parts of the world as well, that doesn't know about STD:s and HIV. HIV was literally a death sentence until not so long ago. AND STILL many people refused to put on a condom! Good luck getting them to plug their ears...

The only prevention that might work is to legislate that no earphones, headphones, speakers or any venue should be allowed to generate harmful noise levels (>85db). But good luck with that too...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Soren

Soren Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound
      There`s a lot of talk about funding reseach and more money should be spend on it. I totally agree, but what can we do?

There are 25583 members of tinnitus talk.

Take away 20000 for a multitude of reasons and we have 5583 members if everyone donates the equivalent of 1 dollar each month then after about 4 months we could via hearing health foundation`s emerging research grants fund our own research into tinnitus and/or hyperacusis.

Or maybe speedup ongoing research into tinnitus like Susan Shore`s device or fund research into getting a reliable animal model for hyperacusis. Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You need both. Keep in mind that many causes of T are not preventable. Ask me how I know.

• Agree Agree x 5