Tinnitus Cured by 3 Sessions of Acupuncture

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Jamia, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Jamia

Jamia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/23/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tumor? Ototoxic Meds? ETD? Intracranial Pressure
      Hello everyone,

It’s been a long road for me getting here but I wanted to share how my tinnitus was cured. I originally had head tinnitus in late March that led me to having a CT that revealed a benign pituitary tumor (this physically has nothing to do with the tinnitus experiences I had) which led to me trying different things to cure it. I went to about 4 chiropractic sessions due to my neck being out of place and I no longer experienced the head tinnitus. However, during that time the stress of having brain surgery, the thought tinnitus could last forever and the fact that I had to uproot my life (I was planning to move abroad with my boyfriend, after graduating college in May 2021) and move to Houston TX for surgery and recovery caused me to clench my jaw to the point my jaw would crack all the time. This led to me developing tinnitus in my left ear, it was originally a low buzz, however on a bad night of clenching my jaw cracked the loudest and most painful it had yet and the buzzing turned into a high pitched beep. That terrified me, I went to an ENT and she was sure it was my jaw but wanted me to use some nasal spray because I told her I was experiencing fullness in my ears. Couple days later my other ear started having the low buzz, I completely freaked out. From then once again I was trying a bunch of things, then I came across a post about acupuncture helping. I was convinced this could help because I noticed I could massage the tinnitus to a lower volume or completely away sometimes (it was still present most of the time though).

I’ve gone to three sessions and I no longer have tinnitus. During the sessions I could physically feel the muscles in my ear, jaws, and back of my head spasm. It was an uncomfortable feeling but I pushed through it. I now take muscle relaxers when I sleep until I get the stress under control, but I mean it if you haven’t tried acupuncture, you need to. This doesn’t just apply to tinnitus that comes from TMJ. I’ve seen posts about individuals with Meniere’s and post infection tinnitus that it helped. Ask me any questions you’d like!

Summary: 3 sessions of acupuncture focusing on my jaw, ear, and back of neck with stem attached to the needles cured my high pitched tinnitus.

Even though I have found relief physically, I never stopped looking for peace mentally from this if it was still there. I know it’s hard but try to focus on the emotions attached to tinnitus as well as the sound itself. It’ll help.

• Like Like x 11
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      Congrats! This is a great success story.

Could you please tell us what kind of acupuncture this was? Was it medical or TCM style? Also, was it just acupuncture or was any current placed on the needles?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamia

Jamia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/23/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was TCM and yes there was a current/electrical muscle stimulation attached to the needles. He placed one in front of my ear and the surrounding on the side and back of my neck/base of my skull.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Congats on the recovery.
      Do you still take these and what is it that you are taking? How often do you take them?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamia

Jamia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/23/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take Cyclobenzaprine and every night. I have a refill for another 2 weeks then I’ll advise my doctor if I think I still need them.

6. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Jamia, that is fantastic! Would you mind sheering where you did this treatment? Could you hear your tinnitus over normal everyday sounds?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Nadia231
      Depressed

Nadia231 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It never worked for me. No changes at all after 8 sessions.

8. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I did a bunch of sessions, 10 or more, and it never did a thing for me.

9. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Nadia231 & @AfroSnowman, did you both try acupuncture with electronic current connected to the needles?

I tried without and it did nothing for me. I'm curious though to try it with electric stimulation.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamia

Jamia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/23/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acu4u in Houston, Texas! The acupuncturist there is determined to help you find relief.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamia

Jamia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/23/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The third session was when he finally implemented the electrical stimulation, the first two sessions were just to loosen the muscles I saw very little to no relief until the third session. It was off and on the rest of the night after the third session then gone the next morning and has been gone since. I am still going to go every 2 weeks for a couple more months just to make sure.

12. David S

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Thanks for getting back to inform us :)

Just a few more questions if you do not mind.

How long was the treatment?

Where did they place the needles?

What was your tinnitus like? High pitched? Stable tone or constantly changing?

David

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jamia

Jamia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/23/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Absolutely, I’ll answer anything if it’ll help someone find a solution and get their lives back.

The treatment was 30-35 minutes each time.

Right in front of my Tragus, down the side of my neck, muscles/veins in back of neck (he took his time here feeling the location of the muscles/veins), and two in each shoulder where he could feel tension.

It originally started as a buzz, then after a stressful night of clenching, my jaw cracked very loud it instantly turned into a high pitched beep.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. bigfoot

bigfoot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I get relief from acupuncture. It lowers my volume until my stress ramps it up. Cranial sacral therapy helps too.

15. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I wonder if your improvement has to do with Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril)?

Prof. De Ridder mentioned using this with some of his patients.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. a/d/s

a/d/s Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus
      Acupuncture is so helpful. I wish I had found it earlier.

It just takes the anxiety and edge off. I find myself reacting less to tinnitus and just living my life.

• Like Like x 2
    17. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Is it possible your tinnitus resolved due to the muscle relaxant rather than the acupuncture?