Tinnitus & Dental Work — Concerned Over Potential Spike / Permanent Worsening — Any Experiences?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Julian2241, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Julian2241

Julian2241 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/4/2015
      After going to the dentist for a check up and clean, I had a massive spike in my tinnitus that lasted for months until it went down to its usual level. After a bit of research I believe the high frequency tools they use to clean; the pitch and vibration had aggravated my tinnitus and caused the spike.

I am overdue for a follow up visit to get a both wisdom teeth taken out, 4 fillings and a clean. My concern is that if I go ahead with the dental work, it could cause another spike in my tinnitus or cause further permanent ringing.

Has anyone got any advice or similar experience? I am hoping to pass on information to my dentist like techniques/practices that would be less harmful to my tinnitus. Ear buds doesn't help.

TIA

2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Ask the dentist to keep regular pauses with drilling and don't wear earplugs (occlusion effect), you will be fine.

3. Rinz

Rinz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Is it possible to not do everything at the same time? I mean... make different appointments for the various things you need to do?

4. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Be sure to request a manual, rather than ultrasonic, cleaning.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Julian2241,

That's a lot of fillings for one visit. Are you aware that most dental conditions, including fillings, root canals, etc. can be prevented? Even polishing can be avoided. If ever there were circumstances that would warrant somebody to become an absolute expert in preventative measures to avoid doing routine dental work, having tinnitus and/or hyperacusis is it. The internet is chock full of good suggestions on how to incorporate many of these preventative measures in our daily lives.