Tinnitus Distractions — What Do You Like to Do to Keep Distracted from Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LillianLexicon97, Jun 10, 2015.

1. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That would work for me, but they are mostly shortlived activities. On the other hand, basic chores work really well for me. I seem to be able to focus on chores without efforts. Sadly for me, reading is a no go. T distracts my focus in reading, not the other way.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. anark
      Anime

anark Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been dealing with tinnitus in my left ear for 3 weeks now.

I'm assuming it's the result of an ear infection. My GP diagnosed me with it 3 days after onset, and I've been doing my best to cope.

Thankfully, I can sleep without much troubles, and its not intrusive enough to disrupt me from activities during the day - but I constantly notice it.

I find myself listening to music or playing video games to block it out but whenever my concentration breaks or there's silence, I hear it again and become aware of it.

I'm hoping that it will fade away with time as I think it's become objectively quieter after treatment for the ear infection, but I'd appreciate any advice on how to manage my life around it. :)

Also, my ear has been getting really warm and itchy, which I think points to the infection still lingering.

I understand that mild tinnitus is something I should be thankful for, but honestly - it still greatly concerns me.

3. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So far, video games have been the only distraction that actually takes my mind off of the severe tinnitus for a few moments.
      I used to play music, but the tinnitus is so loud that the music sounds unpleasant now.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      What activities are you doing to keep your mind off tinnitus?

Video games are kinda a waste in some ways of one's time other than the distraction.

Are there other things you're all doing to get your mind off tinnitus?

I'v heard highly engaging fast activities are the best. But some of them, like exercise, can make tinnitus worse. Also stuff like going to the gym has its own noise risks. I've heard the impact of stuff like rrunning can go right to your inner ear (fluid) via bone conduction.

What do you all find engaging?

• Like Like x 1
    5. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @Sam Marksmen, spending as much time as possible in nature. Power walking, observing, being, photographing, enjoying it.

Not only does it distract, but if refills energy to my mind and body. It keeps me healthy in any aspect, and has, for me personally, been essential on my Journey.

I don't take this for granted any longer. For a long time I had issues doing this due to extreme reactiveness. Wind, waves, even just the walking part made my tinnitus wind up. But over time, and by gradually exposing, it's slowly got a lot better. This is a slow and ongoing process.

Nature gives me peace to my mind, no matter how chaotic some days may feel.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      How do you handle any setbacks or worsenings in this journey? After doing really good and hitting a bad setback, it’s disheartening.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. SonOfUhtred
      Confused

SonOfUhtred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud lifestyle
      I was doing some painting at work today for about an hour and realised afterwards it was one of the rare occasions I forgot about my tinnitus... I might start painting again now!

• Like Like x 3
    8. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good question, and a hard one to answer. I do agree, it can often be disheartening. But I keep telling myself, it's only temporary. And I try to look back on the better days I had just a short while ago.

For me, once I managed to let go of most of the anxiety and worsening thoughts, I know that even though I'm having a reactive period, and tinnitus winds up, it won't stay. That makes it easier to live with and cope with any ups an downs in life.

Setbacks happens, but unless you do something completely stupid most people won't get temporarily worse from being exposed to everyday noises. Even though it makes tinnitus reactive, even though it makes your tinnitus wind up, even though it might lead to a setback, it will be okay - one way or another.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Thanks. I needed to hear this. I just fear that this COVID-19 spike will last, since others got tinnitus from it. It made it more reactive and sharper frequency. I was doing good before it too. Those worsenings after having good periods just make me want to give up. I understand it’s part of the journey but still lol.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Painting.

Going to the beach.

Riding my bicycle.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Jigsaw puzzles are my go-to when I'm having a bad day.

I also solve the Rubik's cube over and over.

A lot of chores, dishes are my favorite.

And I visit this forum a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hey Juan,

I found I'm able to ride my bike without spiking from wind noise for about 25-30 km. I prefer MTV because it's a better workout, has a lower average speed than road and in the woods there's less chance of strong winds.

Do you do anything in particular to be able to ride?

Thanks!

13. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I ride with earplugs because there are too many motorbikes where I live, and they are really loud... other than that I find riding my bicycle relaxing.

• Like Like x 4
    14. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Great stuff @MindOverMatter. This is the mindset I’m beginning to adopt. After many instances now where the bad periods occur only for the good ones to come soon after, I’m learning that it’s not worth getting caught up with negative emotions during the bad days. I keep busy and just like you remind myself of the good days that I recently had. I repeat to myself “it’s temporary, the good days will happen again”. And while that’s happening I feel like the reactivity is getting slightly better.

• Like Like x 3
    15. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good going @ZFire!

Happy to hear this is a type of route that works out for you too. By adopting this mindset we certainly do attain a "tool box" that makes the harder days easier to cope with, and the now and future brighter.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      I don't think most of my spikes are temporary, they increase the baseline. I'm having a hard time habituating because of it.

Sometimes I wonder if the spikes go down and I don't notice it.

17. SamRosemary

SamRosemary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Doing lots of outdoor activities with my son. Today we went to the beach. Go to the park, the lake, swimming, basketball, etc.

I’m trying to take up reading again. Cooking sometimes fully distracts me :) OH and just bought the coolest thing. A miniature dollhouse room off Amazon where I have to put together all the little pieces. I think that’ll keep me busy.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Sam Marksmen
      Confused

Sam Marksmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      Doll house is like model building. That's a good one. Cooking is too but hard with hyperacusis. Many of the activities people mention sounds great, I just can't drive to do many of them and it's killing me bit by bit.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      If video games are waste of time, then all leisure activities are a waste of time. Do what makes you happy is what I would say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      Many prior activities/exercises I used to do and can't now, as it increases, exacerbates my head pressure and severe pulsatile tinnitus. Very, very frustrating, as it is for many other sufferers here.
      Greatly agree to that. With this horrible condition, it makes sense video-games to be a good strategy by using more of your other senses; fast visual stimulation and heightened focus for temporary distraction. Wiggle your toes. Sniff things. Stare at people. Puzzles. Float in water. Whatever helps to cope, do!

• Winner Winner x 1