Tinnitus Doesn’t Control You, You Control It!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Kris J, May 17, 2020.

1. Kris J

Kris J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Guys,

I’ve had tinnitus for nearly 4 years. At first I was suicidal, I never thought I would ever get over it. It consumed me completely, but there is a happy ending to this story!

4/5 months into it I started to habituate and “get used to it” the most infuriating thing is when people who haven’t experienced it tell you to “ignore it” the real key is to not think about it at all. Do the things you love and you’ll think “wow I went a whole hour without hearing it” then before you know it you’ll go a whole day or even a week!

A lot of tinnitus veterans disappear from this site and I always thought the worst, that they’d left because they couldn’t deal with it. Well I can say from experience that tinnitus becomes the last of your worries. Below are some quick fire tips I’ve found helpful;

Exercise - makes it worse initially but then in the evening quiets off.

Flying/ holidays - it may spike a little on a flight, but enjoy the ride, have a beer or 4 and you’ll soon forget all about it.

Sleep - I’ve found sleeping on the ear that suffers most is the better option, which even I don’t know how that makes sense!

Wellbeing - tinnitus is a measure on how you’re doing in life, if it’s unbearable take a step back and try to take back control. If quiet, you’re doing amazing and enjoy it, celebrate it!

Alcohol - now this definitely makes it louder for me, but I care less so it’s wings and roundabouts on this one. Just don’t beat yourself up if you have to many and it spikes like hell the next day, 2/3 day’s later it’ll be back to normal.

Gigs/music - invest in high quality ear protection, I have moulded “PRO20’s” musicians use PRO17’s but I wanted that little bit extra protection. I can happily go to ANY music event without worry of a spike in my tinnitus.

I got married with tinnitus, I moved home, I got a new job, it does get better and life is full of these bumps in the road. As Liam Gallagher once said “Yeah I’ve got tinnitus, I’m fucking proud of it man, if your ears don’t ring then you can fuck off!” This always makes me laugh and realise that tinnitus doesn’t control you, you control it!

All the best, try to enjoy yourself and the noise will slowly start to disappear.

• Like Like x 4
    2. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I'm at the 5 month mark now, and I don't want to declare victory just yet, but for the past week, maybe week and a half, I'm not sure if it got quieter or if I'm just bothered less by it. I'm pretty sure now that as long as I can continue to protect my ears, I will be fine.

• Like Like x 3
    3. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      @Kris J Needed this today. You have no idea. 2 hours ago I was a puddle, crying like a baby and almost ruined my son’s 10th birthday.

Wishing you all the best.

• Hug Hug x 1