Tinnitus Ear Oversensitive — I Can Hear a Frequency That Others with No Tinnitus Can't?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Anthony Scotland, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Anthony Scotland

Anthony Scotland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      I was standing in a room at work. Lots of computers. I have tinnitus, high pitched in my right ear.
      Two other people, my co-workers, were in there. I kept hearing a crazy, high pitched squeal in my right ear, the tinnitus ear. I knew it wasn't my regular tinnitus... but my right ear was hearing this. I asked my co-workers if they heard this noise.

1 co-worker barely heard that squeal, but would sometimes hear it... the other only heard it at certain angles. These two people do NOT have tinnitus.

They were both amazed... both mentioned my hearing must be "really sensitive" and couldn't believe I was hearing that "faint, quiet squeal" at all angles in the room. They mentioned my hearing must be "supersonic" and "incredible".

I'm wondering if anybody else was told the OPPOSITE of being told they have hearing loss? Tinnitus is usually a symptom of hearing loss, no? So why am I hearing a frequency that others with zero tinnitus can't hear?

The high pitched noise was unpleasant, constant... I don't have hyperacusis FYI, though I was like, is this like a mild, mild, mild, mild symptom of hyperacusis?

Any insight?

2. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This happens to me as well. We have a giant space heater in our office and I can hear this distinct ringing sound when it’s on, but when I plug my ears it disappears, and if I sit in a different position I can make it disappear as well. I know it’s my ears because some days this sound is more prominent than others.

It happens with my fans at home, and also with water running in pipes (in the shower, after I flush the toilet, sink) etc.

It is beyond frustrating. I think it’s dysacusis - related to Hyperacusis

It’s weird because my usual T is deep in my head. But this specific ringing feels very shallow, as if it resonates right at the opening of my ear

You can also have hearing loss that isn’t detected on standard hearing loss tests.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Today’s standard audiograms test up to 8 kHz. Expanded audiograms can go high and can detect hearing loss not detected on standard test. Not only do the ears play a part in this sound but the brain does as well. I recommend posing the question to Dr. Nagler at Doctors' Corner. Which can be found on this forum.

4. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Would this information even be worth anything? The average person probably has some levels of hearing damage by the time they reach a certain age and since this expanded hearing test isn’t the norm, there probably isn’t much data out there for what is considered normal or not

5. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @Orions Pain
      You are right. Probably not. I guess I was not the average. I am 60 and before I took an ototoxin my hearing was outstanding. I am incline to believe even on an expanded audiogram it would have register very well. Even now despite tinnitus and hyperacusis I can hear sounds at distances that people without tinnitus can not hear. There so much we do not know about the ear brain connection and tinnitus. Keep praying for a cure sooner than later.

6. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They have set standards for age groups in the extended range 8-16kHz.

7. Jaka
      Wishful

Jaka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      From what I know Tinnitus is often associated with hearing loss, BUT you can have all combinations. Ranging from tinnitus with perfect hearing to total hearing loss with no tinnitus.

My tinnitus is like notched white noise around 13khz and I can hear up to 16khz. I have colleagues who don't have tinnitus and they cant hear "coil whine" sounds in electronic equipment which I can hear perfectly.
      Maybe when you have tinnitus you are more likely to notice weird sounds that others would simply ignore.
      During my work I trained myself to listen to anomalies in electronic equipment and audio signals. I notice "lipsync" issues where others don't and I hear genuine glitches in sound which some other people miss....

Maybe you also got "trained" by your tinnitus to be more attentive to weird noises in the environment