Tinnitus / Ear Pain Spike on Certain Frequencies? How to Deal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by carfan13, May 20, 2018.

1. carfan13

carfan13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So I'm not sure how to deal with this or which route to go.

Every time I drive my weekend sports car (with a fairly loudish stock sports exhaust) - I get real bad ear muffling sensation, and pain - that does not go away, and it lasts for about 2-5 days. Sometimes it will even accompany a bad migraine. It comes on almost immediately as I start driving.

It does not matter if I drive the car for 5 minutes or an hour. I have been getting this since day one of picking up the car up 6 months ago.

At first I thought it's the loud exhaust - and tried ear plugs of all sorts, and driving her very sedately - all to no help. After much thinking and a bit of research, I have come to conclude that these spikes are frequency dependent, on something that my car produces - and the ear plugs do not help out in any way.

Another preface - I do NOT experience this sensation from anything else - loud clubs, music, driving with windows down (on other cars), etc -- so I figured again that its not just 'loud' thats my triggering point.

This is really strange to me and I'm not sure how to deal with (aside from not driving the car!)

I'm at the point that I'm either going to sell the car, or try and swap for another exhaust to see if that is the culprit (could be costly and fairly involved investment if I go this route).

Any other suggestions? Is there any reason to see any type of professional for this? Will this ever go away or will my ears change in time to disregard that frequency ?

Seeking your help and input if anybody else has ended up with any similar diagnosis that its not specific volume triggering pain but a frequency?

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Being inside cars with loud exhausts, for sure can annoy the tinnitus. I had a car and it had a loud exhaust and it measured at 105 db max. Once I saw just how loud it was, I had the exhaust removed. There was no point for me, to drive with ear plugs in my ears while driving(to me that's not enjoyable). Also the fear and anxiety of that loud exhaust could be causing your spikes, it's very possible.

If you love that car, possibly get a exhaust that is not as loud....all up to you :)