Tinnitus Expectations

Discussion in 'Support' started by Blair14, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Ok, don't react to tinnitus. Anxiety, stress, depression, lack of sleep will make it worse. Am I missing something? Is it reasonable to expect that T and H have a life of their own, unpredictable, so if it continues to get louder that is normal, just go with it?

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Hey Blair. Do TRT is what they say, but what about people who can't afford that or what if they don't practice real TRT-JH in your country? I seem not to be the only one.

3. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I can't say I envy the people who can afford it, cause T and H sucks bigtime no matter if you have the dough or not. And what about the 10-20 percent who are in cat. 4?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      It may be an option in the future. I had a good day yesterday, today its bad, no reason. I wake up that's what I am dealt, I feel I did nothing to contribute to either day.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      @Blair14
      I think the idea is that you try and keep the life of your own no matter what.
      T and H are unpredictable for the most part. Some people have triggers that make it worse. I have found a low salt diet helps my H somewhat.
      Lack of sleep make T worse.
      If it gets louder for no obvious reason, it may settle back, but the one big thing I have learned in my 7 months of this is panic and stress make it worse.
      I was a complete wreck in the first 3 months. Now I just 1/2 a wreck.
      I guess that's progress. Time will help.
      My T goes way up and way down so unpredictable is normal for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Positivy threats won't help me either. I have no money, no support. Last 2 months the only person I did see was my father. Half my family did the ice bucket challenge on FB with vids and all, which is a noble thing pfcourse
      I don't dare to ask them for money. They just wouldn't understand my problem.

My aunt had T. for years, years usage of benzos and AD. They said she had it between the ears, like a nutcase,
      until she saw some ENT. who actually could help her. She had mositure in her middle-ear which has been removed. She has tubes in her ears now. Shrinks and big pharma made big profit of her physical not psychological problem.
      And two tubes was her salvation, really?

Problem with eyes = no nutcase
      problem with ears = nutcase

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Balir and Larry did you try TRT? Hope you are doing well.

8. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      How can you get used when your car sounds like a truck, when a truck sounds like an APC-tank? When someones with a louder voice sounds like they are screaming? I'm a wreck right now, maybe I'm too new to this, only three months of H. now.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Well I am working on trying to get back some of what I lost. Not there. I have eliminated triggers to my knowledge, panic, stress, diet I see makes no difference, salt, caffeine etc., on depression med and need sleep med, otherwise I
      T and H are unpredictable for the most part. I am about 3 1/2 months in, at my present state. It took me down 18 Aug, though I had it at a lower level up until Aug. Off work, CT Scan clear. Head scratcher for me. It tends increase, plateau, increase, plateau, the other day was the first day it ever dropped back in 14 weeks.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @ Dutchguy Sounds like you were in the military?

11. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Sorry for my negativity, not good for my fellow sufferers. You only see the people who still have it ofcourse.
      Much respect to Billy48 or 84? and his positivty threads!
      I dont drink coffee or cola no more, no chocolate. Stopped with that when T came into my life 5 months ago.
      So I guess it didn't help me either. didn't do MRI, didn't dare to pay visit to my GP.

Btw in his doctor's (GP) surgery I had a wrong syrining of my left ear. I hate that place now.
      I think the syringing was the last push over the edge, which gave me my T and H.
      Overall it must have been noise exposure.
      Wearing headphones (gaming, making music). And i tend to hear "better" all of my life since I was a kid.

Had little H and disco T when I was a teenager. I'm 39 now.

You mean by increase, plateau it goes up and down or is it getting slightly worse?

Thanks for your reply. I Just try to figure things out, like most of us.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      @DutchGuy Mine is worse than it was 14 wks ago, I am not in the place mentally I was back then, have taken measures that I would have expected a decrease, when it steps to the next level, it stays for a while and then goes up again. No clue.

13. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Hi Blair, no haha, I wasn't in the army but I did play war games with headphones on. I Wish I knew at the start of doing this, it was a real dumb thing to do.
      Also music with a lot of bass on headphones is a bad thing. Metal detecting with headphones with no volume control.

I've I can live througth this I will spend the rest of my life warning youth for loud exposure.
      In 10 years alot of I-pod users will be on these boards. I Also will warn them for too loud music at clubs and festivals. It seems like loud sound is like a drug for the youth nowadays.

14. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I did read about the US war veterans and loud exposure to sound though, they fight for our freedom and end up with ear poblems, too bad.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I used to be in the Canadian Forces. Believe I got T from noise exposure. I have researched it to death, think I would see some improvement.

• Like Like x 1
    16. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I hope and think there will be cure for all of us soon!

17. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Sorry for my self-pity in some posts. I just had to let go my frustrations.

• Hug Hug x 2
    18. @DutchGuy It's ok to have self pity. Hyperacusis is hell om earth. No, for some it's mild but it's really, really tough. My tinnitus is louder too. I have ups and downs but this setback is severe. It's like square one. I am scared...but listen, all we can do is focus on healing...so restrict sodium, sugar caffeine. .take quiet walks in nature. .wear ear protection when needed...order the pink noise cd from H network..You will most likely see improvement, it just takes time.

19. No worries..I have much self pity too. My life has become a neverending horror story that just won't end...Not to scare you. I have other chronic pain conditions that came with my hyperacusis and tinnitus so I am special in that regard. Most people with H DO get better, even without TRT!! do some research about it, and build your own sound enrichment treatment from home. You can and you will get better....o.k?

Just know setbacks happen. They suck. They suck the living soul out of you. BUT we get better. This stuff is not linear. It is up and down and all over the place, except for a lucky few. Real hyperacusis is crap. It's worse than tinnitus imo. I have worsened T and it sucks too, but it's not like H...IMO...I know about severe T and I pray I don't get that as well..or else a bottle of pills and a nice long swim.will be it for.me.

This may sound blunt and depressing.. But I am telling you like it is. I am a Cat 4 I believe. I made it to a Cat 3, maybe 2!! it can be done. .but sadly i am worse now..and I have NO CLUE WHY!! that is what is scary.

So.protect your ears against all sounds that are super loud. Protect yourself from sounds
      that will worsen you..soon you will get the hang of it..

and if you can, keep searching for an audiologist...

All the best.

Lynn

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      @DutchGuy

No worries, self pity has its place in the beginning...and middle... I'm not sure where I'm at but you will manage it better as time passes. We don't have a choice!
      I settled on gabapentin and remeron to help with sleep anxiety and depression.
      My anxiety has dropped but yea gotta keep busy and mind off negatives. Not easy sometimes. It's hard to be positive when depressed and confused. But time has been the best healer.
      Still have real bad days but if you keep busy and mask with white noise or nature sounds it can take the edge off.

I have not done TRT. In my area the audiologist wanted $5,000 for a white noise masking device (MP3 player) and 3 to 10 sessions.

I get better sessions of help here at TT and I have white noise and other apps that sometimes help. I am seeing a therapist but she is more help with depression than T for now but at least I can bitch to her and she has to listen. My wife won't !

21. @Blair14 IMO it's impossible to NOT react when this crap gets worse. It's devastating. .

• Like Like x 1
    22. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      When sh hits the fan and you stand in front of it, there is no way of escaping it.
      Yes I'm very anxious bout this T/H thing, but humor still keeps me going.
      4 o'clock in the morning. d_mn. But so glad I found this board.

• Like Like x 1
    23. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      What are your experiences with H Lynn? Mine is that ALL sounds seem to be a lot louder.
      Biking outside, when there is no wind, feels like biking in a storm.
      I hate the the cash register beeps, silverware on plates, inside house noises (lot of wood in my house), hearing my own footsteps, dogs, outside traffic, children in groups, loud human voices, the list goes on

I hope it won't get worse. When I go ride a bike outside or take a walk on the street with motorized traffic, do I have to wear plugs then?

24. What you describe is my current experience. My own voice is too loud. I wear plugs on motorized streets absolutely.

25. I would guess my ldls are in the 50's atm...

Everything you describe is classic H. Kitchen sounds are the worst. The only time my footsteps bother me is if I am walking on snow or leaves.

Have you seen an ENT?

26. Davo
      Curious

Davo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      00/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I so understand the horror of H DutchGuy. My H was so bad I became "noise phobic" and work earplugs everywhere when it started the high pitched sounds of cash registers and squeaking brakes would drill through my head. What was worse is that I used to wear earplugs every night to sleep - for the past 20 years. The audiologist told me to stop using them. Over a month the H calmed down significantly. It seems avoiding the "everyday" like traffic or crowds may not help to make H better. I guess it all goes back to the brain rewiring itself and stop reacting.

These days sleep is rescue for me - if I don't get enough the T is much more noticeable. So sleep has become focal. I use a white noise generator at night (a free app) to cover environmental noise and the sound of my T. It helps.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Davo
      Curious

Davo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      00/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      DONT mention kitchen sounds !!!! But it got better - thankfully

• Like Like x 2
    28. Davo
      Curious

Davo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      00/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Negativity is fine - in the right forum. I really feel your sense of helplessness mate. It is a frightening thing to have this inside our head 24/7. It gets better. If you need to take medication while you get through the next while then don't feel bad about it. Meds seem to stop people reacting as much to T which might allow for some habituation. I know they aren't the "answer" and a lot of people feel ashamed to use them but the benefit is there. Get back into your life and see your friends again. If you need some ear protection from loud bands or films then get some "musician earplugs". These are tailor made to fit in your ears and block out some of the sound. I use them for concerts (now). they were cheap. Please stay hopeful.

29. No disrespect Davo, but the last thing Dutch Guy (presuming he has H) is to be in a loud club or film, with or without plugs. His ears need rest. Traffic can be loud..cars honking, brakes screeching..again, ears need rest. IMO. I have had it a year and know a thing or two by now... I also took a benzo with great success that now no longer works..so.in casw @DutchGuy you intend a med, I say use benzo only as needed and.consider an antidepressant. I know a few people with H who were helped with ADs and sound enrichment.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Davo
      Curious

Davo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      00/02/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      I hear you. And I still keep the kitchen door closed. Important not to avoid his mates though yeah? Loneliness dont help

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1