Tinnitus Following Ear Syringing: No Hearing Loss, No Obvious Trauma to the Ear

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by DominicZ, Jun 27, 2020.

1. DominicZ

DominicZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Got worse following irrigation of ear wax impaction
      This is my first post after reading several threads regarding ear syringing.

I had impacted ear wax that was muffling my hearing in both ears. Without doing much research, I found the first hearing center that was open during COVID-19 which performed ear syringing. I softened both ears with olive oil 10 days prior to the procedure. The procedure went well and my hearing improved vastly.

However, 2-3 days later I woke up with loud ringing in both ears. It would subside during the day to a background high-pitch sound that I could tolerate. The ringing would appear louder at night which I could often mask with a white noise generator to fall asleep. But lately the masking has not been working.

Interestingly, the ringing is worse as soon as I wake up, and even after a short nap. It has been about two months (4/28/20) since the syringing. I followed up with the hearing center for a hearing test which showed no hearing loss. I followed up with an ENT who found no obvious trauma to the external ear or eardrum.

Cut a long story short, I'm concerned this will become a chronic problem. I've tried more exercise and diet changes, but with little effect. If anything my BP has increased from a normal 125/80 to 135/90, so my doctor put me on medicine to reduce it.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Do you have very high pitched tinnitus? If so, you may want to try sounds of heavy rain, shower, waterfall, cicadas etc. That was what I had to use initially. Because of hyperacusis also, I really couldn't set the volume high enough to cover the screaming tinnitus. So don't worry too much if your masking doesn't cover the ringing. In fact, in TRT treatment, patients are told to set their masker slightly lower than the ringing so the brain will have a chance to get used to the ringing without panic.

If you are using a white noise machine which may have limited choices of sounds, you may want to try using the phone to download apps for tinnitus masking. There are many choices and you can then play them with bluetooth speaker. Some even allow you to build your own sounds for best masking effect.
      Hope you feel better soon. Take care. God bless.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DominicZ

DominicZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Got worse following irrigation of ear wax impaction
      Thank you for responding to my post. Yes, it seems mostly high-pitched centered around 10Khz. Oddly, it doesn't manifest everyday. On some days, I hardly notice it because it is in the background. Then out of nowhere, it will become loud as soon as I get ready for bed. I believe it is because I'm anticipating it. It will start in the right ear and then spread to the left. Once it kicks in, I hear it all night. I've been using a phone app called Sleep Pillow which generates white noise as well as combinations of nature sounds. If I'm really tired, the app will mask it for a while and I sleep for 2-3 hours. But once I wake up, the ringing is even louder and it's almost impossible to get back to sleep. My Dr. suggested I try Valerian root which is mildly sedative and non-addictive. I'll let you know how it works. Reading your threads, you've been through a lot and I take confidence in the advice you have been providing.