Tinnitus for 22 Years and Now This...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bex274, May 26, 2015.

1. Bex274

Bex274 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert?
      Hi all

Right I've had T since I was 15 just over 20yrs now a low hiss, anyways I think it was bought on by a very loud Take That concert back in 94. I had a few dodgy years but coped. I'm a worrier/very anxious person at the next of times and about 3yrs ago had a very bad episode of about 8mths where any sound would make my head want to explode, I was literally going crazy. To cut a long story short, I was out on anti depressants which have helped a great deal and also saw an amazing audiologist locally who was an angel in disguise.

So three years later I have a new sound, almost like a pop, electrical notice every few mins, not continuous which I've had now two weeks. For week 1 I was a mess, week two I'm coping but also concerned I'm stuck with the intermittent noise.

I can't see my audiologist until mid June and I away on holiday next week. My anti d review is done at the doctors and I'll trying to be positive and believe this is a blip it will go, but also thinking is two weeks long time to hear this. Any thoughts people on the flare up?

2. Carm

Carm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2011
      It can be permanent. Two weeks is not that long I say that. If you keep hearing it 6 months from now then you can consider it permanent.

Try taking NAC, Ginkgo, Magnesium and eat healthy, exercise a lot, sleep much.

Welcome to the forum

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bex274

Bex274 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert?
      Hi thanks for the reply, I don't take any form of supplement. To be honest I think it's just getting my head around this new noise, plus maybe not read everything on websites. Permanent is not a good word for me. Let's go for temporary

4. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      The classic expression is: "Nothing is forever."

You've dealt with T for so many years, I think you'll get around this latest intrusion.

Good luck and God bless mate!

Sailboardman

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bex274

Bex274 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert?
      So I haven't been on here for a few years and guess what another blip in my tinnitus journey. I've had T for around 22yrs I think from noise induced, Take That back in 1995.

I'm a worrier, very anxious person currently on AD (sertraline for last few years) I've coped pretty well had a major spike in 2014 and thought my life was over, luckily I found an incredible audiologist who helped me (purely through talking to me) fast forward a week and I went to Wembley for a concert (not been to a concert in nearly 15yrs - I wore ear plugs but clearly didn't work/ you can guess the rest- T at its worst, I'm back in that dark place.

I'm currently in France on a family hol and I feel I'm letting my family down as I'm having constant panic attacks, can't eat, constantly on the go to occupy myself.

Why does this tinnitus flare up get to me! I'm seeing my audiologist next week, so trying to be positive as I don't want to be in that hell again!! Sorry to rant

• Hug Hug x 7
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Bex,

Ive been where you are many times.

It sucks

But you are doing the right things. Get back to your audio ..

Perhaps you could do an online hearing test?

If you think you have sustained further auditory damage, perhaps consider steroids/nac/mag?

I think youve hit the nail on the head. anxiety.

Maybe it is time to revisit your anxiety meds too with your dr or consider alternatives?

I suffer with significant anxiety and ocd. I know how paralysing it can be.

But, remember you conquered this once. You will again.

Enlist the support of those around you; including your family. You arent a spoiling the holiday. You have a valid fear that your t has worsened. Those who love and care for you will want you to feel better, so dont be shy to ask those around you to help comfort you at the moment. Keep coming back here and let us know how you are getting on.

You can do this.

debx

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bex274

Bex274 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert?
      Thanks Deb I hate that I'm getting worked up about it and letting it control me! To be honest now I'm like is it my Norma sound but I'm hearing it more because I'm anxious, then I think will my lady help me this time all These negatives, my hubby is understanding but I hate stressing him as he doesn't know what it's like. He also hates me going on these websites as he says they make me worse X

8. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @Bex274
      Could be the anxiety. Here's an interesting article:-

“Stress is the main thing that affects tinnitus. Tinnitus is generated in the part of the brain called the Limbic system. The Limbic system controls our emotions: love, hate, fear etc and these all involve STRESS. Stress feeds tinnitus and tinnitus feeds stress. The more stressed we become the louder and more intrusive the tinnitus is. The louder the tinnitus becomes the more stressed we are. It can become a vicious circle.

This is the reason counselling (talk therapy) is so important when some people have loud intrusive tinnitus. Many Hearing Therapists/Audiologists, that counsel tinnitus patients also have tinnitus. They understand how debilitating tinnitus can be and are able to empathize with what a patient is going through. Through counselling a Tinnitus Therapist is able to "take away and demystify" the negative thinking that a patient has about their tinnitus, and thus this lowers their stress and the perception of the tinnitus over time”

Also try Terry's mindfulness trick. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/ Frequenting T web sites too much can be a bad thing, but stick to this one and the success stories. As one member said 'Don't let T drive your bus' ! Best wishes Phil

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Rosemerry Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Phil-O Thanks so much for the link to Terry's back to silence thread. I've never seen it but just read the entire thing and watched his video. Wow! I'm running to the grocery store in a bit and will pick up a little notebook. I'm excited to try this! @I who love music Thanks!!

• Like Like x 1
    10. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @Rosemerry , Terry aka @I who love music is a hero. I've found the method helps you to feel empowered to do something positive and push T into the background. It may there but you don't listen to it, and then as you get on with your life the more it goes into the background. It does take time but a little bit of magic! Good luck. Very best wishes Phil

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Youre in good company here ..

Youd be hard pressed to find someone who hasnt gotten worked up about tinnitus.

Address what you can. So, get onto your anxiety first and see where youre at after that.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Rosemerry Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Phil-O Hi Phil, I agree - Terry's a hero! You're right and the funny thing is, just reading about his BTS method empowered me and all of a sudden I felt more in control. I got my little notebook and it makes it kind of a game. T is still there, but I just keep the method going and I'm fine. Curious to see where this brings me in a few months. Thanks again! RM

• Like Like x 1
    13. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @Rosemerry
      Good luck. Make T unimportant in your life. Best Wishes Phil