Tinnitus For a Month

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lintho, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Lintho
      Depressed

Lintho Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I'm so glad I found this forum!
      My name is Linda, I live in Sweden
      I've had ringing in my ears for about a month. I suddenly became aware of it one day and didn't know where it came from. I went to a concert 2 weeks before the tinnitus appeared. I forgot my earplugs at home and the music was loud. I had ringing in my ears that night when I went to bed but for the next 2 weeks I had no problems. I went to an ENT, they checked my hearing and she said it was probably from the concert. I have extremely good hearing but she said she saw "a dip" on my left ear at 4000-6000 Hz. I don't know what to think, I'm going crazy from this noice. Isn't it strange that I didn't ge T until 2 weeks after the concert or is that "normal"?

2. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      You probably didn't notice it.
      As for 4000-6000 Hz it's the usual frequency of Sensorineural Hearing Loss.
      Have that myself although I haven't gotten my hearing tested yet.
      Anyway don't go crazy over it that never helped anyone.
      I was damn near suicidal during my first weeks of Tinnitus.
      But you have to realise a BIG PART of people do fine.
      Yes even though it seems like it LOTS AND LOTS of people go through this.
      You have to accept the idea that this may stay, but you also have to accept the idea that reading online won't give you anything but bad thoughts.
      Tinnitus does go away for people.
      I don't know the statistics but it does.
      There are 2 possible outcomes.
      1.) Tinnitus goes away completely ( great)
      2.) It doesn't go just gets a lot lower and with time you just stop focusing on it and it doesn't bother you any more (also great).
      Either way even though it seems like it now in a couple of months or even less you'll be fine.
      Also keep in mind before you deem your Tinnitus permanent and give up everything.
      It takes a year, a full year for Tinnitus to even be considered chronic and even then there's a chance that it may go away.
      I'm not saying anticipate every day for Tinnitus going away that'll drive you crazy.
      Just try your best to do the things you like, and accept Tinnitus some people accept it as permanent some people like me accept it with the fact that there's a good chance it'll go away.
      Either way by the time you're habituated you won't even notice your Tinnitus being gone cause you will be used to it and not really care any more.
      My friend had Tinnitus for 2 months when he lost it he didn't know he lost if for a whole month more because that's how much it didn't bother him.
      He was also suicidal and depressed just like me, even worse maybe.
      Trust me it gets better, try to limit your online search for Tinnitus though as most of the people that post are having a hard time with Tinnitus.
      10-15% of the world population has some form of Tinnitus but you don't see a billion people posting online about their Tinnitus do you :)

• Like Like x 2
    3. Mosaik
      Balanced

Mosaik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music at my school
      • Like Like x 1
    4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      A hearing test is used to diagnose hearing loss. Not tinnitus. And most often only the speech frequency range is covered in the tests. A standard hearing test cannot diagnose tinnitus; it can only provide an indication.

You can redo the test at a later point in time to see if the dip has disappeared.

I can only speculate - but here is what I think may have happened to you:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tired-of-this-ringing.6388/#post-69380

In the case of an acoustic trauma, there is usually an immediate onset of tinnitus (if it occurs - that is) which is linked with the temporary hearing threshold shift that occurs in those situations (ie. muffled hearing). For something such as eg. medically induced ototoxicity there can be a time gap between exposure and tinnitus onset (eg. days, weeks, months) - in fact, that would be the rule rather than the exception. So the explanation in the above thread is probably the most likely reason (that I can think of...).

5. pactribe

pactribe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert, while wearing earplugs (SNR 19).

Hi, your story is identical to mine.

Hissing started two weeks after a concert. How are you doing these days?

Best wishes.