Tinnitus for Almost a Year — Why Does It Keep Getting Worse?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Armond, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Armond

Armond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello...

Looking for any suggestions or comments, or encouragement.

Here is a summary of my tinnitus journey.

In November 2020 I developed a slight hiss and moderate hearing loss in my left ear. Over the last 10 months my tinnitus has very slowly spread to both ears; I have loud hissing now in both ears with low frequency hum in my right ear. mild hyperacusis in both ears with the feeling of pressure and fullness.

The condition is very difficult to handle, and the fact that my condition keeps going down hill is very concerning.

Here is what has been done during the last 10 months. Three ENT visits, no help at all. Two hearing tests which indicated moderate hearing loss in left ear. Ear pressure tests were fine. One MRI (December 2020), nothing found. Blood tests for diabetes and Lyme's disease, both good.

I am going to a Neurologist for a different opinion.

Please, is it common for tinnitus to keep increasing, with various other symptoms? The low frequency humming, in the right ear, began overnight in August, and is very difficult to handle. Every day is a challenge.

I have had a battle with anxiety, so that could be a factor. Also, had cancer treatment, with chemo, 4 years ago. My Oncology doctor has told me no way chemo does causes hearing problems after 4 years.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Armond

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Armond,

There is no law of tinnitus saying that the symptoms must get worse over time. On the contrary, many tinnitus sufferers report the opposite; their symptoms get milder after a few months.

Your tinnitus started out in your left ear, and hearing tests confirms you have a hearing loss there. In other words, hearing loss is likely to be the underlying cause. Perhaps aging has made your hearing deteriorates further and thus caused your symptoms to get worse?

Here is how I deal with my own tinnitus:

1. Protect my hearing against loud noise. (Avoiding loud events and using correctly inserted foam earplugs in moderately noisy environments.)
      2. Pursue an overall healthy lifestyle. (Get my eight hours of sleep, exercise, meditate eat much fruits and vegetables.)
      3. Waiting for my tinnitus symptoms to hopefully calm down with time.

So far, I've been able to get by. Perhaps some of it might work for you as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Tinnitus is unpredictable. It can improve, worsen, change pitch, etc.

For some people even what they eat, the exercise they do, etc can have an impact on tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Armond

Armond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for comments and support.

I have come to terms with the high pitch tinnitus, mild hyperacusis and ear fullness due to hearing loss, age etc. But the humming is debilitating and began in August, like 8 months after the high pitch tinnitus symptoms. To me there could be a medical cause as the humming disappers overnight, wake up with no humming, and it will slowly increase over the day. By nightime its is just seriously horrible.

I'm having a CTA in two weeks.

Any comments, suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
      Armond

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Armond

Armond Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Greetings...

I had a CTA performed. The neurologist said there was nothing found from his viewpoint that could cause my tinnitus.

There was one item found "Lobulated opacities and bilateral maxillary sinuses likely represent mucosal inflammatory sinus disease"...

Yes, I asked an ENT if that could cause or worsen tinnitus and was told she had "no idea."

Any comments or suggestions.

Robert

6. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      My ENT, who also has tinnitus, routinely treats allergies and inflammation of the sinus cavity as a potential causal factor of tinnitus. Maybe you should try some steroid spray for your nose. Can’t hurt.

7. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It’s very common to have tinnitus spread to the other ear. Often it’s a different sound.

Tinnitus sounds change over time, we can interpret it as healing or worsening but, there’s not necessarily a connection between what sounds you hear, how annoying they are, and the hearing damage.

However, usually there’s a connection between pitch and hearing loss. Especially in the original tinnitus ear.

Some people can no longer handle every day noises (which can be freakingly loud) without worsening tinnitus.

Others possibly get worse from overprotection.

Same goes with hyperacusis.

Others live 50 years with their original tinnitus by just living as usual.

So it’s a fine balance and different between people.

I would say walking along traffic, MRIs, dentists and fire alarms are a big risk to us, even though it’s everyday noise.