Tinnitus for Two Weeks Now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sparrow, May 22, 2013.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08 May 2013
      Hi everyone. New to the forums and to tinnitus just trying to understand this curse.

Ive always had bad hearing in my left ear from a viral infection when I was young but it was very minor. Recently well about 3 weeks ago I went to a party and a week after that was at a live concert, and it was after then that i noticed a ringing in my left ear but was so slight I hardly noticed following a week after that it got alot louder now it is even louder and bothering me even more! I do not seem to have any more hearing loss which is really weird. Its really bothering me, I also produce music and it has really just made me depressed I dont feel like producing music anymore. What I wanted to know, is will music worsen it ? is there a chance it will go away ?? should I stop listening to music for a week ? Im really woried and these questions are just flying through me

2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Hi Sparrow

Possibly it's only louder because you're paying so much attention to it?

I can't believe music will worsen it, at a reasonable volume, and I also do believe that the best thing you can do is subject your ears to a healthy and wide range of sounds. This would include playing and making music, socializing etc. Obviously, don't blast your music through your headphones, and wear earplugs if you're DJing or gigging.

There's a chance that you'll notice it less as you decrease your anxiety about it, but you have to take the first step and try to return to your normal lifestyle

Take it easy
      DD

3. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Hi Sparrow,

Best not to worry too much - tinnitus can spike and then slowly reduce over time. However, it is wise to exercise caution as exposure to loud music is one of the main causes of tinnitus in young people (along with ear infections/viruses - how I got mine). Avoid listening to music through headphones as the previous poster suggests. You can still listen to music normally but exercise caution, use earplugs if going out to live concerts/gigs and limit the amount of time your ears are exposed.

4. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi Sparrow,

I produce music too, have had my tinnitus for a good while and I find that working on music and sounds is really therapeutic for it. Depends on what you make though, if you're doing stuff that's heavy in the mid range it won't be too good for you. I ended up changing what I write and kind of naturally gravitated towards chilled, ambient electronica - found it the most soothing.

5. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yikes, you'd better give up on that mate. Why don't you start to look at it differently. You know, like it's not a curse. I'm not saying you should see it as a blessing (bless you if you can), but rather something that leaves you completely indifferent. That's impossible, you say? You'll think different about it in a couple of months. Like, you'll think indifferent about it…

6. Lord of the Ring
      Cheeky

Lord of the Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yeah. Like hanging out here :p