Tinnitus from Club Bouncing / Shooting / Loud Music — Wondering If I'm Going Nuts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JesseLira, Jun 19, 2020.

1. JesseLira

JesseLira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 18,2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club bouncer / Shooting / loud music
      Hello,

I’m new to tinnitus, I was diagnosed with tinnitus 5/18/20. It happened out of no where just laying there trying to sleep and boom instant ringing nonstop. I have my good days and bad days, I’m not really sure how to deal with it. I can’t concentrate at work and I’m trying to stay positive but it’s really put the brakes on my life.

I’ve read so much online and am hopeful that I can manage it but it’s rough as many of you know first hand. I try and explain to friends and family but they don’t get it, all they can say is that sucks!!!

I stress out due to work a lot and this makes it worse some days. ENT says I got it from younger days of club bouncing with all the loud music and from shooting not to mention earphones at a fairly loud volume. Not really sure I can pinpoint how or why and it doesn’t help that I specialize in home theatre, specifically Dolby Digital audio. Too late to change career but I’m now working off site.

I have an apt with audiologist Monday to get some tests done and maybe consider a hearing aid. I’m hoping this works, god I hope this works. worst part off it all is the lack of sleep, it’s worse at night and I have tried apps, white noise machines. Hate taking drugs but am considering something to help me sleep. Any suggestions?

Anyway thanks for letting me rant about my tinnitus. I wish everyone on here the absolute best.

It would be nice if there was an actual group in Los Angeles where people could meet up and talk about tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. JackJ

JackJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi Jesee
      You've only had it a month so there's still hope that it may recede. Many of us suffer from spikes in tinnitus that can take 4-12 weeks to settle back down. As a rule of thumb give it 12 weeks anyways. Over the next 8 weeks be careful to the point of paranoia about your ears. No loud noise exposure, no ototoxic drugs and keep the inside of your ears dry. Buy some cheap foam ear plugs in case you find yourself in a noisy environment. There's a whole slew of herbs and vitamins that some people find some relief with so you can try them although it's far from guaranteed they will help. At the same time you need to be prepared that it may not go away either. But if it doesnt, over time the volume of it can decrease and it becomes less intrusive as you habituate. That's a word you'll see here alot. If you're using masking to help you sleep make sure the volume of it isnt too loud.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. It is not always necessary to use prescription drugs for sleep. Some natural supplements can do similar function and less problem with side effects. Melatonin is one often recommended by members here as a natural alternative. Here is a site talking about other natural alternatives for sleep and calming. Take good care. God bless.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There is still a chance that in the next two months or so you will notice fading. If that happens, it ought to continue to fade.

If that doesn't happen, there are a number of promising treatments are in the pipeline:
      You will want to make sure that you don't hurt your ears during this period of vulnerability as your body is healing. You will want to avoid taking ototoxic drugs, avoid microsuction or syringing (performed when you need to clean wax out of your ears; a manual tool should be used), and not let your dental hygienist use an ultrasonic scaling tool on you (a manual tool should be used). For more details, see

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822