Tinnitus from High-Pitched Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by m4gnus, May 15, 2018.

1. m4gnus
      Joyful

m4gnus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I know too loud sounds can damage your hearing, but does the pitch of the sound matter?

I did a sound test on YouTube a while back, which tested how good hearing you have (I know, it was a super bad idea). I did it on high volume with headphones (I know, even more stupid) but only for about a minute, so I don't think it did any damage.

But my question: Could my tinnitus have been caused by the high pitched sound or does it not matter?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      My tinnitus wasn't caused by high pitched sounds but high pitched sounds do make it worse for me the remainder of the day.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      m4gnus
      Joyful

m4gnus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      But do you think it can be caused by it, or spiked my tinnitus. I know i have had very mild tinnitus all my life, but for the last month it has been super loud and really annoyoing

4. DefNFlaky
      Inspired

DefNFlaky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yup, that's how I got my permanent spike. Thought to have it set at 30 to 40% but the soundcard was faulty and blasted my right ear at 90 DB supersonic level.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      m4gnus
      Joyful

m4gnus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      How loud is your T now? 3 weeks ago i could hear it everywhere, but now only in silent places. I hope it will keep on improving.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. DefNFlaky
      Inspired

DefNFlaky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It was screaming loud in the beginning two years ago but now it's more of a bird chirps when around industrial machinery. I keep my hearing aids very low most of the time and it helps immensly if you could relax with a hobby and let the Tinnitus fade to the background. Can't remember the post but how you react to the Tinnitus helps so if you hear it go louder with a ringing, just relax, it will go away quicker in consecutive time.

7. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Many many years ago when I was younger and dumber I would on occasion shoot loud firearms without hearing protection. There is one particular caliber that has a higher crack/pitch than others that I would bet wouldn't be particularly louder that some, and that would be a 357 mag.

I bet that on a decibel meter there are others that would register higher, such as 44 mag for instance. But the 357 was way more painful. My ears rang for days, but quit.

Then about ten years ago, long after I always wore protection, when I wasn't aware that another shooter was about to shoot a target, I had an extremely loud discharge near me. I guess that was the forever ringer. The ring never went away.

Oh how I now regret those younger days.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      m4gnus
      Joyful

m4gnus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      How long time did it take for your T to go away the first time??

9. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      It was so long ago, almost thirty years, that I don't remember for sure. Actually I think that after my childhood/early twenties shooting ignorance that I eventually developed the most faint, and only in the quietest conditions, maybe faint cricket sounding T.

That one experience with the 357 was so bad that I'll never forget it. It was only one shot fired from a short barreled 357 and it hurt badly. I've heard that the 30 Caliber Carbine that was made in the Ruger single-six is even louder. But I've never fired one.

About ten years ago after the unexpected discharge right beside me is when it got loud and never really settled down again. Another experience after that when a big piece of lumber was dropped inside a shop building near me I suppose made it even worse. Some high tech hearing test and consultation with the ENT is when it was determined that I also have Hyperacusis.