Tinnitus from Hypothyroidism?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ash, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Ash

Ash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hypotyroidism
      Hi there,

I just joined! I was diagnosed with profound hypothyroidism last March. I was really ill at the time and one of my symptoms that developed was Tinnitus.

Nearly 10 months on and it hasn't improved one bit. In fact it got really bad the other night and woke me up. I decided to get up as I thought I was going mad and almost collapsed. My doctor said it was probably low blood pressure which can cause T to get worse. My blood levels have been normal for 7 months. I went to an endocronologist and he advised that T wasn't connected to hypothyroidism. I never listen to loud music etc. and noone in my family suffers from this. I'd actually never heard of it before!

I'm still relatively young (well 40!!)

Anyone got any advice or similar experience from underactive thoyroid??

I also seem to get frequent headaches..it feels like I've a constant underlying headache!.

Looking forward to hearing from more experienced persons

2. wcu92

wcu92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thyroidectomy
      Your endocrinologist is wrong! It is a classic sign of hypothyroidism. Search the Internet and you will find lots of people experiencing the same thing. I became severely hypothyroid after my Thyroidectomy 15 months ago. My only symptom besides major hair loss was 24/7 tinnitus. For some people it resolves when adequately treated, for me it caused permanent damage. That first year was rough. It is hard to accept that you will never hear quiet again. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. Some folks believe stressed adrenals will cause it and that your adrenals get stressed when you are hypothyroid. I've never found anyone who has treated adrenals that had their tinnitus resolve however.

I am 46, never exposed myself to loud music or sounds. My tinnitus is 100% caused by being hypothyroid too long. Somehow we need to get the word out to the medical community that this is a common side effect. So frustrating and in my case could have been preventable if they would have started me on a higher dose of thyroid replacement after surgery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      I bet that you were told multiple times that your T is temporary and that there's nothing to worry about. In fact so little to worry about that you don't need to get treatment because it'll go away.

If you went to another doctor you'd get a different reason such as medication and then if you went to another doctor after that you'd get another reason such as stress. What a bad doctor. It could be an issue that's not blood pressure and treatable but cause tinnitus to become permanently worse if not treated. By telling you that it's low blood pressure I guess the doctor just wants you to wait it out?

The correct answer is: "I don't know because I don't have enough information to determine what's causing it. Let's run some tests to see if we can figure what could be causing it."

I understand if an endocronologist says that your tinnitus might not be caused by hypothyroidism but to say with certainty that tinnitus can't caused by hypothyroidism shows that he/she doesn't know what they are talking about and are clueless.

I would suggest showing your endocronologist this article and the various studies that back up the article on the bottom of the page. Your endocronologist will likely not even listen or read it.

http://www.tiredthyroid.com/blog/20...tus-hearing-loss-can-be-hypothyroid-symptoms/

In addition people with thyroid disease are more likely to have tinnitus. There is a correlation.
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26020239

4. M lewis

M lewis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all I had mild tinnitus for 4-5 years. In the last month it went high pitch and I found it some what challenging. 2 weeks ago I was test for thyroid function and found out I have hypothyroidism and yesterday hashimotos which is the auto immune reason 90% of people have low thyroid function. I can't help but feel it's related. It was a distinct change in mine tinnitus. Getting gourself educated is so important. Your sr need to test for thyroid antibodies to confirm a hashinoto condition. Sharing helps and I'm glad I'm not the only one and there is a connection even if it's not commonly known by doctors . Michelle

5. Withrow
      Worried

Withrow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hashimoto's
      I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in May 2018. My tinnitus started about the same time. I think my eustachian tube is blocked on the left side (same side as tinnitus). My endocrinologist says there's no link to the thyroid issue. My GP prescribed antibiotics (which did absolutely nothing). In the past week the ringing has had the added feature of a little feedback screech when noises of a certain frequency are heard. There's also a feeling of fullness in the left ear. Any thoughts? I have a feeling the doctors don't want to admit anything odd can be caused by the thyroid problem, but so far I've had this and a truly terrifying incident of supraventricular tachycardia that landed me in the ER getting a shot of Adenosine (something I would never want to experience again). I've been on levothyroxine for about 8 weeks and my tsh levels are improving (3.57). But all these weird symptoms are starting to scare the bejeezus out of me. My Mom died of an autoimmune disorder never fully diagnosed, but some sort of vascular collagen thing. I'm scared to death the same thing is happening to me.
      I'm going to an ENT in a few days...also looking for a new endocrinologist. Anyone know a good one in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC?