Tinnitus from J&J COVID-19 Vaccine — Here's How I'm Managing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gemmer, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Gemmer

Gemmer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Janssen J&J COVID Vaccine
      I developed tinnitus a day after receiving the J&J single dose vaccine. I've heard and read it can happen with any of the three vaccines.

It's been 24 days. I will admit that the first week were fire alarms in both ears. I went into a bad depression and extreme anxiety. Fortunately the extreme fire alarms are gone but I'm still left with a high pitch in my left ear that seems stable. I've read many articles and called J&J. "Supposedly" it can take months to resolve. Then again possibly never? I read that there was one young man who received the vaccine and lost his hearing altogether for 78 days. I'm holding out hope this goes away.

How I'm coping: Get A White Noise Machine! You need one with a lot of sounds. I am a chronic insomniac already. I already had a white noise machine that provided only the fan sounds and it worked well until the tinnitus. Adding tinnitus to an insomniac is like drinking an energy drink and 5 cups of coffee before going to bed. Sleep was NOT going to happen. The white noise "fan" sounds are also likely not going to work. I read that you need to find a noise that is slightly lower than the tinnitus. Fan sounds don't provide that. You need one that makes higher pitched white or pink noise hissing sounds. Amazon sells an Adaptive Sound Technologies LectroFan with 20 sounds for about $45. It has a couple higher pitched hissing sounds that drown out the tinnitus but are actually soothing and calming and get you to sleep. I know it sounds crazy but these higher pitched sounds actually do help tremendously. It's worth every penny. I bought two because it works so well I'm panicked that if one quit, I couldn't go one night without it. It's also great for keeping beside you on low while watching TV. It doesn't interfere with your program but you can actually ENJOY watching tv.

I also started Ginkgo Biloba per a recommendation by hubby's otolaryngologist. I haven't gone to a doctor for this yet as I'm waiting to see if it subsides the further I get from the vaccine. There are limited studies on Ginkgo biloba but it seems to help and it can take several months of taking it. Since I may or may not be in for the long haul on this, I started it. Only time will tell.

I've also been reading about high CBD tinctures. THC would increase the tinnitus volume but CBD may help in low dose drops. I'm trying that too. I have a high CBD lotion that I actually rubbed on my face right over the entire ear canal area which is actually a line extending from your nostril to your ear lobe right over your cheek. Call me placebo crazy but it dropped the tone MANY decibels. I've done it several times when I have felt like I was having a rather screechy day and it definitely improved it dramatically. I've tested it so many times I no longer feel like I'm just willing it to be better. One time I felt like it was completely gone as I tried to focus on it and heard nothing. Then I stopped trying to focus on it (which is not a good thing to do) and I just went about my day.

So there is my story and I'll post updates. Get the white noise machine! Have one at work. Have one on your nightstand. There is no cure so it takes an army to figure out ways to manage this. I have a friend battling Stage 3 ovarian cancer. I have zero doubt that she would trade her problem for mine if she could. So, keep your collective chins up. FIND THE THINGS THAT WILL MASK YOUR SOUND.

Good luck and hugs to all of you going through this. One doesn't know until they have experienced it.

• Like Like x 3
    2. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      My tinnitus spiked about 10 days or so after Pfizer #1. It increased in volume and pitch for about 5 days, and has now started fading back down. It is still worse than before but is getting better (it's been about 8 days since it started spiking).

It also feels like my inner ears are swelled up, I can "feel" my ears. I am hoping this will continue to resolve itself over the next few weeks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      March 23 New York Times

'Some Covid-19 Patients Say They’re Left With Ringing Ears
      Scientists are examining a possible link to tinnitus. A businessman’s suicide has lent urgency to the research.'​

I hope they mean research for tinnitus.

4. madeline S

madeline S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 24
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid vaccine
      I got tinnitus too 4 days after taking the J&J vaccine. It’s been 2 weeks.

I really would appreciate any help. The ringing is very high pitched and constant.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. MaryA

MaryA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Vaccine
      @Gemmer, thank you for your post. It's been helpful and I appreciated your story. My husband is battling cancer and I feel horrible and guilty on the days I have breakdowns because of this. Your suggestions have been helpful. And I can identify with that ear fullness and sound, mostly one sided. I, too, had a day where I heard nothing, so praying hard to God that we are on the road to recovery

• Hug Hug x 3
    6. MaryA

MaryA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Vaccine
      @madeline S, you are in the right place for support. Hang in there. One of the things that helped me was hot showers. The shower masked the sound and helped me relax. Lots of chamomile tea, eating clean, melatonin, and most of all prayer.

This forum is filled with amazing people. ♡

7. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
    8. madeline S

madeline S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 24
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid vaccine
      Thank you all for posting your stories.

Has anyone’s tinnitus gone away after the vaccine?

9. tpeters1

tpeters1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/20/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid Vaccine
      For me there has been no change since my first shot of the Moderna vaccine and it's been 14 days. I've been following posts on here, and some have said there's been improvement, and maybe a couple that said it spiked and then went down to where it originally was. Everyone seems to be different, but any news of it going back down is good news and gives us all some hope!

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gemmer

Gemmer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Janssen J&J COVID Vaccine
      I’m at month 9+. I still have it. It’s lessened and much more manageable. There are spike days but those aren’t as bad as those initial couple months. Clearly, it’s here to stay. I will not be getting a booster.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1