Tinnitus from Nowhere — Or from Using a Gaming Headset for a Couple of Hours Every Night?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ben5627, May 13, 2022.

1. Ben5627

Ben5627 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi, I've been experiencing tinnitus for over two weeks now and it came completely out the blue one day! I've not been exposed to any loud noises in a long time. The only likely cause is from a couple hours of wearing a gaming headset each night?!

My doctor told me I have glue ear but I can hear fine, pop my ears very easily and can actually blow air into them internally (I had a bad case of glue ear 5 years ago, so I know what it's like!). Zero chance of seeing an ENT doctor in the UK for months and it's really bothering me now!

It's a fairly high pitch and there a lot of the time but had a few hours at a time where it goes altogether and comes back (especially if I think about it, which I can't help but do!)

Any advice or wise words would be gratefully received.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Ben,

Exposure to loud noise is one of the most common causes of tinnitus. It is typically caused by listening to audio through headphones, earbuds or headsets at too high a volume without realizing it or using them for too long a period without giving the ears sufficient rest. Other forms of exposure to loud noise will cause it too.

From what you describe I believe you have noise induced tinnitus, caused by your headset and respectively disagree with your GP that your symptoms are caused by glue ear.

I have a few suggestions of what you should now do. Please do not see a private ENT doctor, because you will get the best help and long term aftercare for tinnitus under the NHS that no private treatment can match in the UK, that I assure you.

There is a good reason a referral to ENT under the NHS can take up to six months. The ear is a very delicate organ and unless you are experiencing deafness, dizziness, balance problems or acute pain in the ears, doctors prefer to leave the ears alone, to give them a chance to naturally recover. More about this is explained in my posts:
      New to Tinnitus, What to Do? Tinnitus, A Personal View, in the links below that I advise you to read.

Go back to your doctor and say the following words and be polite as possible: "Doctor, please can you refer me to ENT, to be examined as I believe I have tinnitus and I'm having a lot of difficulty coping with it". That is all you need to say. Don't say it with an attitude or demand anything.

I advise you not to listen to audio through headphones, earbuds, AirPods, headsets, noise cancelling or bone conduction headphones, even at low volume, as you risk the tinnitus getting worse.

Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using low level sound enrichment. Place a sound machine by your bedside and set it to play throughout the night until morning. Keep the sounds slightly lower than the tinnitus, they must not mask it. More information about this is in the links below.

All the best,
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben5627

Ben5627 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Michael, I will certainly be going back to my GP in a couple weeks. I'm flying away on holiday in a couple days which I'm now nervous about but way too late to cancel or delay!

Strangely it seems to settle in the evenings and not yet found silence at night time an issue. It's actually more in the day when general noise or in the car it seems to spike. Two young and loud children don't do it much good! Haha.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Ben,

This is the reason ENT doctors advise patients to leave the ears alone and wait and see what happens. It is important not to sleep in a quiet room, so use sound enrichment using a sound machine as advised in my posts. Your tinnitus is likely to calm down so you may not need to go to ENT. See how you feel when you return from holiday.

If the tinnitus reduces to a level where you hardly notice it or completely goes away. Please don't be fooled by this because it's still there in the background at a very low level. I advise that you don't use headphones, earbuds or headsets again even at low volume, as you risk the tinnitus returning with a vengeance that you won't believe is possible.

When you time, go to my started threads and read my post: Will My Tinnitus Get Worse?

Enjoy your holiday and wish you a safe travel.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ben5627

Ben5627 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So is it fairly normal to have periods of tinnitus going and coming like I do? I have been praying that was a sign it might actually be slowly going.

I will certainly read your articles properly today when I get the opportunity so thank you for those.

Anxiety is through the roof now so can't imagine that's helping anything either!