Tinnitus from Sensorineural Hearing Loss Has Become Very Reactive

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by andrew israel, Oct 9, 2023.

1. andrew israel

andrew israel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      Hi. I am Andrew.

I have had tinnitus since 2015. I suffered unilateral sensorineural hearing loss in my right ear. I was able to manage it pretty well with Klonopin.

I think over time the Klonopin, as others have pointed out, has caused some issues.

I am currently using Mirtazapine (16 mg), Clonidine (0.1 mg) for anxiety and time released Melatonin.

I also have GERD in my esophagus.

Flash forward to last year, I came off the benzos but was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I was able to lose 34 lbs and get off CPAP.

In June my wife of 28 years decided she no longer wanted to be in a relationship with me.

I am trying to figure out what medication to take.

I am having issues with my tinnitus since it is seems to be very reactive and changes in amplitude. It seems to follow a sine curve kind of pattern. It oscillates. I have maybe 2 sounds.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear your wife left you.

It's nearly 5 years this Christmas when my 32-year marriage ended so I know how you must be feeling but I promise as time goes on, life will get back on track again.

Tinnitus can change in sound and strength for a reason or for no reason at all.

I have severe bilateral tinnitus caused by Meniere's disease and moderate loss of hearing in both ears. My ears scream 24/7.

I have found hearing aids to be helpful. They might be helpful for you too. Mine have a setting to add a sound so I have a sea sound when I need it along with the amplification.

Try to find ways to relax, to stay calm, and to make new memories.

Keep an eye on your blood pressure as that can ramp up your tinnitus.

Take care,
      Glynis

• Hug Hug x 5
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      andrew israel

andrew israel Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sensorineural hearing loss
      Thanks @glynis.

Over the last day I have noticed that my tinnitus is starting to make a cracking sound.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Hi @andrew israel. You have almost identical timeframe and story as mine. It could be withdrawal from Clonazepam. What dose did you taper from and how long did you taper?