Tinnitus from Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) After Falling Down the Stairs

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Warrior959, May 29, 2021.

1. Warrior959

Warrior959 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TBI
      :) Hello everyone,

I had a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) in April. I fell from the stairs and hit the back of my head. As a result I had a skull fracture, bleeding from the nose and the left ear. I was hospitalized for 10 days.

I was ok at first, but suddenly hyperacusis and tinnitus appeared from nowhere. It's been about a month. Hyperacusis is fading away, however tinnitus is not. My tinnitus is not so loud, it sounds like hissing or something, but it drives me crazy anyway.

My audiogram shows that I have great hearing, so the audiologist said that the nerves should not be damaged. My ear drum was also not damaged. The neurologist said I need to wait up to 6 months and probably it will fade away as my nerves are irritated, and if it will not, it will stay as the nerves could not recover. Also, she said that there is no point in doing an MRI scan, as this would just be a waste of time.

I am taking Ginkgo Biloba, B12, complex of B-vitamins, Magnesium, and Fish oil. Today I was in a Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber. Also, I have noticed that if I continuously click my left ear with a finger, my tinnitus gets much louder and changes its sound to various static noises, but then after a minute or so it fades away completely, and after another few minutes it returns back to my standard hissing. Any thoughts on what this can be?

Is there any chance of recovery ? I appreciate any answers. Thank you :)

2. mohn

mohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did your tinnitus & hyperacusis appear after the accident or after the treatment?

Some ototoxic medications can cause tinnitus and sometimes the tinnitus is temporary.

Where did you get the Hyperbaric Oygen Therapy at? Was it prescribed by your physician?

If your tinnitus disappears from somatic actions (clicking ear?), it might not be caused by ototoxicity.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Warrior959

Warrior959 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TBI
      Tinnitus and hyperacusis appeared about two weeks after the injury.

Hyperbaric oxygen chamber was not prescribed by a doctor. I saw some posts that it might be helpful for recovery, so I took it by myself.

I would not say it disappears completely, but it changes totally for a while. So I am interested why is this happening? Due to pressure in the inner ear or something...?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Warrior959

Warrior959 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TBI
      1 month+ update:

Hyperacusis has reduced significantly. I even can listen to music on a full volume in the car. A few weeks ago I could listen to it only on 30%~ volume. I am not hiding my ear anymore when someone speaks louder. However, my tinnitus is still present, I have not noticed any changes with it. From time to time it is changing its ringing type.

5. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      So glad you are much improved. Please be very careful and lower the volume. I wish somebody, anybody had told me to be careful with my hearing.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Unfortunately it's all too common you learn about tinnitus when it’s too late.

7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If it begins fading in the next 2-3 months, it ought to continue to fade.

If it doesn't start fading after two years or so, then it will likely stay. Having said that, a hiss is a lot easier to endure than a high pitch tone.

After 2-3 years, if it doesn't fade, you should be able to habituate - it won't bother you as much.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Warrior959

Warrior959 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TBI
      Thank you all for your support and advice. I will be careful with noise, but I haven't noticed any changes in my tinnitus due to loud noises.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/02/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      covid, infection, stress, ototoxic meds, noise, TMJ
      Hey man, that’s good news. What did you to help the hyperacusis? Did you take any supplements or try any treatments? And did you have pain or loudness hyperacusis?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Warrior959

Warrior959 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TBI
      I have loudness hyperacusis, it is still present, but it's not as bad as it was a few weeks ago. I feel huge improvement. I took Magnesium, Fish oil, B vitamins, B12, Ginkgo biloba, relaxing tea, but I am not sure if these helped me or time. I am still taking them. Added iron and vitamin C.

I have noticed that I have hearing loss at 12 kHz, i can hear it only on 35-45 dB. Probably that is causing my tinnitus. I have an appointment with neurologist on Thursday. I am thinking about taking Prednisolone and Betaserc.

One more strange thing I've noticed: if I put finger on my ear, I feel like it's pulsating if there is louder noise.

11. Brandon Wong

Brandon Wong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      How is your recovery from hyperacusis and tinnitus going on?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Warrior959

Warrior959 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TBI
      Hello Brandon,

Sorry, I am not checking tinnitus groups as often as I did before.

I don't have hyperacusis anymore, might be it is that mild that I do not even pay attention at it.

Unfortunately, my tinnitus is still there. Some days it is very quiet and I almost do not notice it, but sometimes it is really annoying and I am feeling really upset. Overall the condition is much better comparing to what it was and I do not lose hope. I am still trying many things, not sure what helped me yet.

I will be posting updates.

13. Brandon Wong

Brandon Wong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      @Warrior959, it is great you are not checking groups as much as before. This just means you are moving on with life. I am on my way to get there... a slow process but I believe I will get there.

Happy for you!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Warrior959

Warrior959 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TBI
      You will for sure, believe me. I know how do you feel right now.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Dário Pinto

Dário Pinto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash / Wim Hof Method
      Did you try Betaserc? Did it help you?