Tinnitus from Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Caused by Motorcycle Accident — I Can't Endure This

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Omid Rahmani, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Omid Rahmani

Omid Rahmani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Traumatic Brain Injury. Craniotomy & Craniectomy surgeries
      My journey with tinnitus started in 2018 when I was involved in a motorcycle accident which caused a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). This resulted me to have two brain surgeries done craniotomy & craniectomy. I’m going to have another craniectomy again after this COVID-19 thing ends.

Tinnitus has made my life difficult in so many ways that I am starting to lose hope in getting better.

All doctors say the same thing “there’s no treatment you have to live with it” This answer never helps to hear. It took an entire year for me to get used to this constant ringing noise in my left ear/head but I was never able to cope with it. I just went along with it.

It has gotten worse and it’s affecting my everyday life activities. I can no longer study for my classes (I’m a premed student) I cannot concentrate, I cannot withhold information as this ringing has my brain occupied 24/7. Is this what life is going to be for me for the rest of my life... I can’t do it, I won’t live like this.

It upsets me even more because trying to explaining this to my doctors, friends, or anyone is difficult because no one understand it. I get this sense that people think I’m making this up. It’s really demeaning. I don’t wish this on anyone. It is the worst thing that I have endured in my 27 years of life and I’ve been through a lot.

I don’t know what silence is anymore and I’m seeking silence. I want silence. Nothing helps, I’ve tried everything. White noise, vitamins, cardiovascular exercise, walking etc. nothing works.

• Hug Hug x 9
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Omid Rahmani,

Do you have any hearing loss?

It sounds to me your auditory signals are misfiring and head injury adding to it causing your tinnitus.

Sometimes tinnitus can settle down over time and medication can help some people.

Cinnarizine 15mg can help reduce tinnitus for people with Meniere's - it states so on the leaflet.

Even though you don't have Meniere's it might be worth asking your doctor if you could try it.

Love,
      Glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Omid Rahmani

Omid Rahmani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I do have hearing loss. In my understanding Cinnarizine is used for motion sickness so people that have Ménière’s disease. My doctors never ruled it to be this diagnosis. My ENT doctor said that it’s nothing mechanical either.They’re saying it has to be neurological which I have come to understand is because they don’t understand it themselves so saying that it is neurological helps their case.

My tinnitus has gotten worse with time. People I’ve met that have this condition mention that they don’t always hear ringing in their ear(s), that it’s only on occasions. This is not my case. It’s there for me 27/4. It never stops.

4. Damien666

Damien666 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Omid

Have you looked at getting a hearing aid to help with the hearing loss?

My tinnitus got louder as I got deafer so in 2018 I got a hearing aid. It didn't cure the tinnitus but it pushed it into the background somewhat because I was able to hear all the other sounds going on around me. They can be quite expensive so I would check it out and see if it would be of benefit before you commit.

I understand exactly how you feel about people not understanding. It's one of the loneliest medical conditions one can have but you are not alone. I feel your pain and understand what you are going through.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Omid Rahmani

Omid Rahmani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your recommendation and kind words.

I did use hearing aids for couple of months but picking up all the noises around me made my tinnitus worse in some ways. I have grater decline in hearing on my right ear which is the opposite side where I actually had the surgeries (left ear).

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      20210225_163248.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. LilSass
      Loved

LilSass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely ototoxic medication
      Hi @Omid Rahmani! I am so sorry to hear of your suffering - I've learned like you that life is often not fair.

If the tinnitus was caused by a head/neck injury, you might want to try an upper cervical chiropractor. They will take x-rays of your neck and see if the atlas vertebra has shifted. If it has, it will need to be adjusted over many months to put it back in place. Your central nervous runs through this vertebra and can cause many ailments, including tinnitus. Do your research and find one that people recommend. There are many chiros out there who give the science a bad reputation.

Good luck my friend and stay strong! :)