Tinnitus Got Worse After Quitting Marijuana

Discussion in 'Support' started by hurtingdream, Dec 2, 2015.

1. hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002. Became worse 11/29/2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I've had tinnitus in my left ear for about 15 yrs. I'm 29. I have always had anxiety so the last 4 yrs I started smoking marijuana everyday. I became addicted and dependant on it so I decided it was time for me to quit. Well it's been 4 days since I quit and my tinnitus became worse than ever and my anxiety is through the roof. I'm so scared that it will last forever. :( Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi and a warm welcome to the forum.
      Great news you have come off The drugs.
      Tinnitus is from the limbic part of the brain where our emotions come from so the unwanted emotions easily surface like anxiety and stress and depression.

Drugs effecting the brain will cause the extra low mood too with withdrawals.
      A good cry works wonders too.

Hang in their and well done for stopping the drugs and stay strong through withdrawals and cravings and that will pass the longer you go without.

We are all here to support you through tinnitus and the unwanted emotions and make a few friends too...lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hurtingdream

hurtingdream Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002. Became worse 11/29/2015.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Thank you so much! Words of encouragement help so much :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @glynis . Hi Glynis I'm going to start calling you mother Glynis. You're a great inspiration To us all on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Richard zurowski ,
      Thank you for your kind word's and mother glynis sounds lovely. ....lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Don't worry too much about it. I've smoked habitually for years and taken long stretches off. The tinnitus is practically random in how it responds... usually the first couple of days I'll feel an increase, then a decrease, and that will cycle for a while. You simply have to do what you usually do and focus your perception on the sounds around you and embrace the silence around the tinnitus. It won't stay as strong as it feels right now, give your brain some time to correct and don't feed into focusing on it.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Phones
      Dreaming

Phones Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/headphones ?
      20 + tears smoking (booze bores me), just 1 later in the evening, but since T just a couple of puffs hour before bed cos I' m used to nodding off that way...to suddenly stop is gonna cause a bit of anxiety ,especially if you genuinely enjoyed it.
      Try and find the balance that WORKS for you ...I can't see any lasting impact apart from anxiety issues...

8. Rob 207
      Artistic

Rob 207 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, noise.
      I've been a daily smoker for 20 years, and got T from noise exposure about a year ago. Partaking has helped me cope and sleep, but in my experience I believe that weed has slowed down or delayed my habituation. I've stopped smoking for a few weeks now and the discomfort from T has been a bit more acute, but I believe my brain can more easily get a grip and habituate when I have a clear head. I'm going to stay away from weed for a while longer just so I can finally habituate then I may return to partaking, but in smaller amounts and less frequently. I needed to slow down anyway.

Note: if you've been a consistent smoker for awhile, your body and brain will need to readjust once you quit. That can cause it's own anxiety and insomnia apart from T, but that should go away after a week or two.

9. CeeJay

CeeJay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Ive recently been prescribed CBD oil by day and CBD THC by night. Tonight I developed tinnitus so loud I could barely hear the TV,, my anxiety went through the roof. That’s how I ended up on here. It has calmed down I the last hour. Is something else causing this or was it my night does. Will it level out? Anyone else have experience with this. Tx . Care

10. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      It says under your avatar that you've only had T since Nov. 4th, 2017, which was four days ago, and your posts are from Nov. 6th. With tinnitus for only two days, I don't think that you should use any cannabis with THC right now, or expect the CBD oil to help at this point.

I've tried both and neither have helped, although the CBD oil doesn't really do much of anything, other than sort of relax me a bit, but will not work if I'm very anxious. THC makes you more observant, and tends to cause the brain to focus on the tinnitus, which is not a desirable thing, and that's probably why your perceived your T volume to go up. It was only your perception, tinnitus volume can't be raised, or lowered, by marijuana or CBD oil.

Hope you feel better soon, you're very new to this and many people experience a lessening, or complete removal, of symptoms after a short period.