Tinnitus' Impact on Social Life

Discussion in 'Support' started by MuffinMan, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @emmalee

It is nice to see you on the forum and I'm doing okay at the moment although my tinnitus is problematic today. Doing some DIY work on my home, carpentry in fact which is what I'm skilled in. I don't mind you disagreeing with me, for you put it across so nicely I couldn't be upset. You are absolutely correct: having people whom we love is a blessing and to love us back is even better. Unfortunately, this is not so easy to find.

Take care and all the best
      Michael

2. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Thank-you, Michael. This forum is my comfortable place. I like to come here to be amongst others who are facing the same struggles. Tinnitus has brought us all together and there are many here whom I consider friends.

May I ask if you use power tools for your carpentry work, and if so, how does this affect your tinnitus? I am assuming that good ear protection would be an absolute must.

In my life, love found me when I wasn't looking for it. That is the beauty of it all I suppose.

I truly hope that your tinnitus will be better very soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      Bill is going to be a problem for this forum :ROFL:

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      All I need to be happy is to be left alone. So I am good (or at least, I was able to achieve a lifestyle that makes me the happiest I can be; if you think I am unhappy, imagine how I would feel if I were to actually be married with children).

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind words @emmalee The tinnitus has been intrusive since this morning but it's nothing unusual. Perhaps it's decided that today and maybe tomorrow that it's going to give me a difficult time but I can cope, and hopefully won't have to take my clonazepam. When I'm using power tools like today, circular saw, electric planner and hammer drill, good ear-defenders are a must and they work well.

I am in the process of boxing in some external pipework, with marine grade plywood. The pipe exits from my combination boiler and runs down an outside wall. It is called a condensate pipe. Last year it was very cold here by the sea on the south coast. The condensate which is a liquid froze and stopped the boiler from working. We are expecting another cold spell so I'm getting prepared. I have bought a "Heater cable" which is attached to the pipework. When the temperature drops below 3 centigrade, the heater cable will come on and stop the condensate in the pipework from freezing.

Your writing ebbs and flows and has a fluidity to it that's similar to poetry. Do you write poetry? If not then I think you should, as I believe you'll be good at it. I like to express myself in writing and like to read other people's writing when done well such as yours.

Take care
      Michael

6. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Been there, done that. Met my wife after the idiot girlfriend, happily married for over a year.

7. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I understand Bill, no ill will from me, I respect your views. We are just two very unique individuals with one common denominator, tinnitus. I like you Bill, even though we may not agree on many things.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Frozen pipes do not sound like a lot of fun at all, being prepared is paramount. Living by the sea on the south coast sounds lovely, especially in the warm months. Winter on the other hand must very cold. Hopefully you will get the job done with plenty of time to spare. I can say that I am not looking forward to our cold, Canadian winter. Give me perpetual Fall, please.

Thank-you for the compliment, Michael. I am a lover of words and I do enjoy writing, mostly for my own enjoyment. I spend many hours reading poetry and quotes, I find it very calming.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I just knew that you had to be involved in writing in some manner shape or form @emmalee well done to you. I have been living on the south coast for 4 years and liking it quite a lot. The summer here was wonderful and at times I felt it just too hot. Our winter months are nothing like yours in Canada and do wonder how you manage to cope over there. I have relatives in your part of the world that tell me 20 degrees below is nothing unusual for winter. I just don't think I could cope with that.

Take care....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Winter in Canada, my region in particular, can be quite lovely, if not spectacular. Winter Wonderland describes it beautifully. The temps can be downright bitter, if I am to be honest, but it is winter after all. Warm clothing, a four wheel drive vehicle and plenty of hot chocolate and Baileys Irish Cream makes it all wonderfully bearable. You just might be able to cope, Michael.

The ocean is what I would like to see out of my window, though.

Here's hoping your tinnitus is much quieter, tomorrow.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you live in the Prairies?

12. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      For me the HS Show went downhill after Artie quit and Howard turned into a obsequious Hollywood leftie.

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I haven't had a chance to listen to Howard's show for close to 15 years. I tried listening to it in 2016, and was very disappointed.

These days, sometimes I enjoy listening to Anthony Cumia's shows. "NYC Crime Report" show on his Compound Media network is also pretty good!

Artie used to be Anthony's co-host for that show in 2017 and 2018. Those shows are still available at the archive at compoundmedia.com

14. emmalee
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Hi Bill. I'm in Ontario.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      So you missed wack packer Eric the Actor (now deceased) and Artie Lange circa 2004? 2002-2008 years were great! You tried listening the wrong decade, my friend.

16. Alex Matyjasek
      Not amused

Alex Matyjasek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8 September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Who knows...
      Well I work in a bar. It's been three and half months i've been out of action because of kidney stones... And 44 days I've had tinnitus (been fantastic last 3 months!)... Next week they are taking my catheter out, and anyway, soon back to work. It will be interesting, working in a stressful job with T.

On the other I hand I also think it will do me good to take my mind off it, which it really isn't that much of a problem. Furthermore referring to my friends, my social life, during the first days of this nightmare I realised being with my mates also did the same effect (keep my mind off it). Yes, I was thinking, shit you guys are so lucky, and dont realise how well off you are. But hey life carries on and I guess I have to make the most of it. The problem is really when I'm home and I hear my T a lot more. (I hear it all the time). Anyway, easier said than done... Let's see what happens.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I stopped listening in 2004...

18. Morg

Morg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Previous exposure to loud music, then caught a cold.
      You are correct in your thinking. If you feel it's dangerous to be exposed to those loud environments, then don't go. Listen to yourself. Doing things that could make it worse in my opinion are not worth it. Always bring earplugs, but know your limits. I also use a sound pressure level meter on my phone (NOISH) to check sound levels of my surroundings when it feels like it's getting loud.

People may not understand, but these are your ears and mental health and you need to do what's right for you. Not all social activities require going to super loud places. There are restaurants that are a bit quieter than others, you'll just have to do some research and trial and error. High volume events are over rated :)

• Like Like x 1