Tinnitus Improvements BEFORE Hyperacusis Improvements?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yuuls, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyone experience such a thing? Most posts here seem to indicate that ear fullness/hyperacusis gets better and then tinnitus improves.

But what about the other way around? How is it possible that tinnitus is less intrusive but the noise distortion/congestion and fullness seems to be getting worse?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      It is possible. Some people get hyperacusis and no tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m starting to wonder if maybe my tinnitus is a symptom of hyperacusis itself.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hyperacusis on it’s own seems to be extremely rare, and looking back, I have had a good amount of noise exposure so Tinnitus as a result of noise exposure seems more likely for me.

It did not immediately follow a loud noise, but seems to be from an accumulation of noise damage. Is it possible to heal?

Can overuse of noise cancelling headphones at a moderate volume lead to Hyperacusis?

5. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      My tinnitus initially started to decrease in volume, and then the hyperacusis started. The hyperacusis thankfully only lasted about a month, and then the tinnitus got worse after a second acoustic trauma, but the hyperacusis did not return.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What were your hyperacusis symptoms?

7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      My hyperacusis was comparatively mild. I would get mild discomfort with some higher frequency sounds, like the microwave beeping, and glasses clinking.

8. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Tinnitus and hyperacusis are different. I had severe hyperacusis and no tinnitus. Then, years after, I developed tinnitus too due to progressive hearing loss.

When one has severe hyperacusis exposure to normal sound or to certain sounds like static can produce temporary tinnitus and also alter the hyperacusis LDLs...

Generally, tinnitus is more often associated with hearing loss.

9. mrbrightside614

mrbrightside614 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My hyperacusis was present immediately upon airbag explosion June 19th. I went back to work as a strength trainer and every closing door and dropping weight caused extreme pain in my ear/temple. Tinnitus onset came in the middle of the night on July 18–a distinct “eeeee” that woke me up from my sleep. Never got back to sleep, continued to try to work but was physically and mentally destroyed and quit on August 18th. Once I removed myself from loud environments, and made sure my dad was careful with closing doors—patio, microwave, back door, and careful with setting things down (e.g. coffee mugs, boxes, etc.) my hyperacusis started to improve.

Unfortunately once I got physically cleared to lift weights again, going back to the gym environment has made me backslide on hyperacusis and tinnitus. While the hyperacusis had reduced from an 8 or 9 to a 2 or 3 in the months between quitting and resuming lifting, it’s gone back up to a 5 or 6 with some TTTS symptoms returning. The tinnitus went down from a 7 or 8 to a 4 or 5, then once I resumed lifting went back up to a 5-6, even with hearing protection. I’m going to have to quit lifting to give myself a chance at life again, it seems.

I definitely think hyperacusis improves way faster than tinnitus and is a contributing factor to making tinnitus worse.

10. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've had tinnitus since April, hyperacusis since June.

Tinnitus started getting better first

Hyperacusis then got better, and tinnitus got worse again.

However I'd rather have moderate tinnitus and hyperacusis, instead of severe hyperacusis and mild tinnitus. I could even take my tinnitus getting a bit worse if my hyperacusis would just go away.

Not that it's a reason to become blase about tinnitus spikes in the hopes that the hyperacusis will reduce. That can be the road that leads back to TTTS, ear fullness and more problems all round.

11. Darryl Colebank
      Depressed

Darryl Colebank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown--depression? Hyperacusis and tinnitus
      Hi @Yuuls
      I have days that my tinnitus goes nearly quiet and the hyperacusis fullness, ear tingling and sound sensitivity get worse. I get super anxious when this happens, like my whole body feels a change taking place. I feel sympathy for people who have these hearing issues.

Darryl

12. Vin

Vin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      My H has improved since my concussion. If only the T would follow suit. When I get really stressed out, my H will come back in little spikes but will then thankfully regress again (knock on wood). This has given me some hope re: T and other ongoing post concussion symptoms.