Tinnitus in Dreams

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sven, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      I've had tinnitus for a month and I have had tinnitus in my dreams once. It was just one dream about 2 weeks ago in which I was going to a music festival and meeting celebrities when I all of a sudden heard ringing and it ruined the whole experience. It's kind of funny since I developed tinnitus from going to an extremely loud music festival and standing right next to the speakers. Haven't had a dream with tinnitus since. It's funny how your subconscious works

2. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      My very interesting (at least for me) observation? When I lucid dream, means I know that I dream but I am not awake, the tinnitus is gone 100%, when I am in deep REM sleep I can't remember much but the tones are never a part of it. But if I play nature noises over my headphones sometimes they end up as part of the dream. But always when I wake up after a REM phase I have h an oscillating tinnitus which derives from somewhere I don't know yet ... is is not my normal tonal tone but more a 20-40hz modulated lower version ..and mostly on my left ear .. which always fades after 5-10 min into my normal tone on both ears .... anyway sleep and REM sleep are very important, if I do not get enough my tinnitus is just louder the whole day. Would love to know why as soon I fall into daydreaming or lucid dreaming my tinnitus fades totally, if I wake up it takes 2-6 seconds and I can hear it come back.

3. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I didn't have T in my dreams at first, so waking up was horrible because it was so quiet in my dreams. Then one day I dreamed and I also remember that I heard my T in my dream like I do when I'm typing this. It wasn't a nightmare or something, just a regular dream. So that was weird but it can happen.

4. HalloweenScreamQueen
      Cheerful

HalloweenScreamQueen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I was about 12 YO
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Now that you've brought it up, I don't think I hear my T while I'm dreaming... I do know that, when I'm in a dream with friends who are Deaf, I communicate using ASL. Just an interesting quirk.

5. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss of Unknown Origin
      I have no idea if it was tinnitus related or not but last night I bolted awake from a deep sleep to what I thought sounded like a welder hitting metal with an anvil (sp?) and that happened twice a couple second apart and then stopped. My tinnitus sound is a constant, high pitched buzz that never really changes so if it was tinnitus that did that I would be surprised. My boyfriend didn't hear a thing and I'm suppose to be the one that sleeps like a rock. Scared the crap out of me but we just put on a metal roof so to calm my nerves my boyfriend suggested that maybe it was some sort of animal on the roof (I have my doubts though).

6. grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow, that's so true dude. I don't have tinnitus in my dreams, but in my dreams I was fighting in a gun battle, literally stopped it and said "i need to put my plugs in" and then continued.

Few other times I mentioned my tinnitus lol. It's actually quite amusing

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That actually might just be exploding head syndrome, it is super common. It's either a door slamming, explosions ect.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Wojtek Kalka in general I have also noticed tinnitus much more frequently in lucid dreams. I think this just relates to awareness, for me tinnitus is strongly connected to the basic loops of consciousness, sort of a primordial carrier wave. it's just fleeting sensory phenomema.

9. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

It's happened a few times where I hear some loud noise that wakes me from a deep sleep and jolt my boyfriend awake and he hears nothing. Exploding head syndrome sounds.. extreme. Can you elaborate?

10. grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Exploding head syndrome
      (EHS) is a benign condition in which a person hears loud imagined noises (such as a bomb exploding, a gunshot, or a cymbal crash) or experiences an explosive feeling when falling asleep or waking up.

It's like a hypnic jerk

11. freedoms stray

freedoms stray Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 years old
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      nerve damage from childhood abuse
      Yes, for the past 10 years.

12. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mine is always when I'm in a deep sleep and I'm jolted awake thinking that someone is breaking in to my house. Never when I'm falling asleep. The only thing I get when I'm falling asleep is where my entire body jerks just as I'm about to fall asleep. I wouldn't doubt that the two would be connected.

13. grotulon
      Breezy

grotulon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/5/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When your whole body jerks, it's called a hypnic jerk :D lots of people get it, it's not understood fully why it happens, but its fairly normal.

14. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      My dreams have been really vivid lately, like I remember a lot of details; it's like I'm going into a different world when I sleep. Must be the medication!!

15. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      As per above, I've now had tinnitus soon for 8 years, and not once have I experienced tinnitus in my dreams.

Yesterday, for some freak reason, I did.

I was firing a .44 Magnum multiple times in a row (target shooting) without hearing protection; my ears started to bleed and I would feel deafened with unbearable tinnitus.

I don't remember what led to those circumstances (for example, I'm not a gun person!) and I woke up sweaty with my heart racing.

Anyways, I'm reviving this thread because I'm interested to hear others' experiences, if you've had tinnitus in dreams.

16. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Nope, hasn't happened to me. This dream account from above made me laugh though: "Pac-Man dying in the hallway outside my room. "Wer wer wer wer wer blot blot."" :woot:

17. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I had one of these last night. Dreamt that I was exposed to gun fire at close range without any protection. Woke me up in an extremely anxious state that is taking the morning to work off!

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      18,5 years now and - as far as I remember - no tinnitus in my dreams. :)

19. Abbadem

Abbadem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD or Stress
      While not completely "in my dreams" a few times now since I got T I've woken up from a fleeting/spontaneous tinnitus episode. Quite a rude awakening (luckily they quickly faded)
      Usually I had my head/neck in an awkward position though - or I drank to much the night before and may of been dehydrated - so that may of triggered it