Tinnitus in Dreams

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sven, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      One thing I don't get is this. Outside sounds, whatever they might be, sometimes get incorporated into your dreams. How come this doesn't happen with tinnitus? I have quite a lot of tinnitus and it's the first thing I hear every morning, but never have I heard them in my dreams.

Why is this? Does that imply that it is more of a brain problem than an ear problem?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      At the nadir of my T experience, when it disrupted my sleep, I had three episodes of T-related dreams:

1. Bicyclist crushed by car, yelping like a dog in perfect time with my pulsating T as I awoke.
      2. Pac-Man dying in the hallway outside my room. "Wer wer wer wer wer blot blot."
      3. A ringing phone that didn't exist.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I've also had it in my dreams., only on a few occasions as Robert has had. Although I can't recall how it manifested.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      OK, I guess I was mistaken, then. It doesn't seem very common, though.

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I've never had tinnitus in my dreams. I am able to see quite vivid dreams and remember them in the morning, but I've never noticed tinnitus in my dreams.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I've had it in my dreams, too. But that's because I have pulsating tinnitus, which is more of a physical sensation. I think that if I had ringing tinnitus only, it probably wouldn't happen.

7. Samsara

Samsara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't say I ever remember hearing it in my dreams.

8. hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      I heared tinnitus in my dreams many times ,early in the morning ,it is always like I am passing close to an old CRT tv. When I wake up I hear similar tinnitus.

9. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I usually have "quiet" dreams, and that's why I like to sleep for many hours now.

But I remember hearing it in dreams few times, one dream was about many snakes - they made exactly the same sound as my T...

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      Yeah as the title says. Has anyone here experienced tinnitus while dreaming?

Since I got tinnitus I've been hearing it every night, makes me kinda sad that I can't even escape tinnitus in my dreams.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Lizzie Grant

Lizzie Grant Member

The first night I got it I could have swore I heard it in my dream that night. Whenever I'm super anxious about something I'll have a dream about it that day and in my dream I remember it was totally unrelated to T but then all of a sudden I remembered my real life situation and started to hear it. So maybe it's just because you're anxious about it?

12. Tibberz
      Supportive

Tibberz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      5 9mm Gunshots
      I have never heard mine in my dreams, but again, I can rarely ever remember them. But those that I have remembered, I dont recall hearing T.

13. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do sometimes, but I'm into slightly esoteric yogic dream practices.

14. John G

John G Member

I get T while dreaming some times. When it does happen..it is pretty loud when I am dreaming. I almost have to laugh because T even gets in my dreams ....what next...Freddy Krueger?

15. Mat V

Mat V Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music through ipod
      Has anyone ever had tinnitus in their dreams? I certainly have. Just curious, dreams are extremely interesting to me and always amaze me

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah, and I'm right there with you. I've actually had dreams which have seemed to fundamentally impact the way I interact with my T consciously while I'm awake.

if you're into your dreams, I can't say enough good things about this book, even though I've only read about half of it: https://www.amazon.com/Tibetan-Yogas-Dream-Sleep/dp/1559391014

17. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, and worrying about loud noises has invaded my dreams.

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I encourage people struggling with this to see it as an opportunity to interact with their subconscious in a novel and potentially quite healing or at least interesting capacity, rather than to see it as a curse.

Took some years to get there, I will admit, but what choice is there really? Unless one is willing to bomb your brain with cannabis or benzos on a daily basis, dreams are going to happen whether you want them to or not.

If you read that ridiculous yoga book I linked above, diligently put the effort into doing the practices it outlines for a period of 9 months, and can honestly tell me that you still dislike your dreams, I will give you five hundred dollars.

19. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What do cannabis or benzos have to do with dreams?

20. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      I seem to developing a fear of sound, since I regulary dream of explosion-like sounds damaging my hearing.
      I wake up right after and I am genuine scared for 5 minutes that it did some form of damage to my auditory cortex.
      Since it felt so real, I automaticly think it must feel real for my brain as well. After a while, after I am not so sleep-high, I just move on.

21. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thats the thing with me ,I dream crazily think its because I wake up lot and the sleep rythms are disturbed ,but I never have T in them,its wonderful

22. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Oh, yeah. I've dreamt about loud noises making my T worse on several times. But better in a dream than in real life, it's quite relieving when I wake up.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Interestingly I never ever dream about tinnitus, or having tinnitus, even though it's on my mind a lot of the time and impacting in major ways.

I don't complain. :)

• Like Like x 3
    24. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Dreamt of sudden loud noises several times. As illogical as it sounds, sometimes I wake up wondering if that would exacerbate the T.
      The worst dream I had of T was when I dreamt of descending into this dark vacuum, and hearing T getting louder and wrapping itself around my whole being. I woke up with heart palpitations.

• Like Like x 1
    25. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Sleeping seems like one of my escapes for T.
      I can't say much about dreams, I don't dream much anymore (well I don't remember them, they say everyone dreams) but yeah I remember only having one dream. I couldn't hear t in the dream but I made a reference to it.

26. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Dreams are weird things. I have lots of dreams about my dogs running away and running in the streets. This matters way to me, more than the tinnitus does. I never had a dream about tinnitus. If something really matters to you and you kinda obsess over it, then it can show up in your dreams a lot. That's the case with my dogs, I normally don't dream about anything else.....

Tinnitus is beyond horrible and I hope all can find some comfort.....

27. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      they both radically alter REM sleep patterns; my experience was that it was more or less impossible to have vivid dreams, or much dream recall at all, while using either substance with any regularity.

28. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I see. I remember having even more vivid dreams on Ambien.

29. ryan1234
      No Mood

ryan1234 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      @Markku random question my friend. what are the downsides to taking anti-anxiety or anti-depressant drugs to deal with this? is the only downside the potential for addiction?

30. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Not in my first year of tinnitus, but I did start to dream about it when I had hyperacusis in 2013. Would hear it in dreams and would often dream about being blasted with loud noise from a speaker. I also used to get these weird dream things where I would swear I heard a massive bang or knock on the door and then wake up - think it was called exploding head syndrome. I think it was all to do about heightened anxiety at the time. Haven't had those sort of dreams in a couple of years now.