Tinnitus in Just One Ear — Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Support' started by finlayargyle13, Mar 20, 2015.

1. finlayargyle13

finlayargyle13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea!
      Hi there. New to the forum. I've had high pitched constant T in my left ear since last May. Still awaiting ENT appt on 17th April.

Is there anyone else experiencing it in just one ear and if so, have you received a diagnosis or reason why?

Looking forward to hearing from others with similar circumstances. :)

2. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi 13, Most of the people that have T only get it in one ear. As for the cause, there are just to many to list. I just went to the search box and typed in "cause of tinnitus" Many threads came up. Not trying to cop out on you, it's just that even the researchers, ENT's, can't agree on the exact cause. There isn't really a test to find out if you have T. Well, actually T is a symptom, of something awry in the the way you process sound.

Some times T can be caused by wax built up in you're ear..

3. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      not true!! most people have t in both ears (both ears = BILATERAL)

In most cases, tinnitus is bilateral. Unilateral tinnitus may indicate a more serious medical condition.
      It is a common presenting sign of both vestibular schwannoma (also known as acoustic neuroma) and Meniere’s disease.
      Patients with unilateral tinnitus should receive a hearing test as soon as possible; if asymmetric hearing loss is found, MRI is indicated, both with and without contrast of the internal auditory canal, to rule out vestibular schwannoma.

check here if you want http://www.ncrar.research.va.gov/Education/Documents/TinnitusDocuments/Triage_Guide.pdf

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Thanks Stink. I thought I read just the other day, that the most people get T in only one ear. Thank you for the correction. don't want to put false information out here...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      finlayargyle13

finlayargyle13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea!
      Thank you both. To be honest, I've read both: that unilateral is a warning sign that merits further investigation but also that after bilateral T, idiopathic left ear T is the most common.

I'm panicking due to what the further investigation might reveal and was hoping for a few others who have it in one ear and why.

Again thanks for your replies. :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      One ear. No answers here.

• Like Like x 1
    7. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Left ear, probably due to cochlea damage.

• Like Like x 1
    8. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      Hi, I am new to the site. I came down with roaring T in my right ear a month ago. I have my suspicions that it is from going to the cinema and seeing a war movie that literally hurt my ears. I only went because my WW2 father in law wanted compamy. But since then, the roar has changed to a hissing, high pitched noise. I had a hearing test done and the audiologist confirmed that I have hearing loss in both ears, more in my right which is giving me the T. I was told through my family doctor and the audiologist that I have Sensory hearing loss. That means that the little hairs in the ear that control the hearing apparatus are damage. At least some of them. But, I am told hearing aids may help me. I am just moving along with this to try and solve the puzzle. Last night I had no sound in my ears. This morning it is a different story. But challenges we all have to face in this life and this is just another one. Huggzzzzz to you. You are not alone. Lots of good folks here.

• Like Like x 3
    9. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I've always thought unilateral tinnitus was the most common. Even if that's not true, there are certainly a lot of people with that condition, so you're definitely not alone.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I have tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear only. I've had a CT scan, MRI and MRA (with and without contrast), and Doppler of the carotid arteries. Nothing remarkable was found. The only thing my doctors found was that I have conductive hearing loss in my right ear.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. Lara K

Lara K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      I have tinnitus only in my left ear. Mine was caused by sudden hearing loss. They don't know what caused it, I just suddenly lost hearing in that ear, and then most of my hearing came back over the next month while I was taking prednisone, but I have enough hearing loss that apparently I have some ringing. I had an MRI with contrast and everything looked normal. Yay, hearing loss.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      13, I forgot to mentioned my T is right ear only. I had the same tests as Karen when T first started. All tests came back normal except some hearing loss in my right ear. I did however have a repeat of my carotids a few months ago and they found a 70% blockage in my left carotid. They are giving me MRA's every 6 months to see if the blockage gets worse. Dr. told be they do not do surgery for a blockage in the carotids until it reaches 90%. Wouldn't that be something if mine got to 90%, had the surgery and T was minimal afterwards. At 68 if they look hard enough they will find something:)

You are a young lady, things should go well for you....

• Like Like x 2
    13. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @gary,

Are you taking any statin drugs for cholesterol? And did your doctor offer any suggestions for what to do about buildup in the carotid arteries? I have some buildup in my carotids, too, as I am also 68 years old. I've been taking red yeast rice for the cholesterol, exercising, etc., but aside from that, I don't know what else to do.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Joe P. Tamborra
      Inspired

Joe P. Tamborra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic neuroma tumor
      Hi 13, Yes the unilateral sometimes is an indication of a benign tumor called an acoustic neuroma.
      I know this to be true because unfortunately I had one which got surgically removed leaving me deaf
      in that ear with ongoing tinnitus. The odds are way against you having this but it is worth investigating with
      an MRI. Don't give up on life, you can still lead a productive life with tinnitus; its just more challenging.

• Like Like x 1
    15. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      13, Joe is correct on the above quote. MRI's are standard procedure to rule out anything like that. You will pass the MRI with flying colors:huganimation:

16. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have in mine in both, but it started off in one ear. So be lucky to only have it in one ear...

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Haha...I never even got an MRI, guess they don't care or the UK healthcare system is truly broke.

• Funny Funny x 2
    18. My T is unilateral pulsitile tinnitus in my right ear. MRI/MRA showed a vascular loop coursing into my internal meatus, compressing the auditory nerve and displacing my vestibular nerve.

19. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
    20. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Left ear. Don't panic! 99% dr will find nothing abnormal

21. Lara K

Lara K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      NiNyu,

My left ear is back up to baseline levels except for a dip to 45db between 500 and 1000 HZ. It is kind of crazy looking on an audiogram. I actually got a hearing aid because I wanted to see if it would help, but I hear fine out of that ear. It is very different from when I first had the hearing loss. When it was at its worst I could brush a hand over that ear and not hear anything, and it constantly sounded like i was talking around a jet sound.

22. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I have it in just one ear, my left.

It also happens to be the very same ear I have a bunch of impacted wax in. Fingers crossed for a good cleaning today and a reduction in the severity of my T.