Tinnitus in Left Ear Gone However Right Ear Has Somatic Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leo Pappas, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Leo Pappas

Leo Pappas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So about a week ago I noticed as I was walking home from a night shift (it was 7 in the morning) a random ringing that was loud even outside. Lasted until 11:00 am. Then it was gone.

Then 2-3 days later I got somatic tinnitus which is on and of most of the day. I remember getting some form of somatic tinnitus when I got onset then it went away.

Just wondering if there's anything I can do or is there a chance it can go away?

It has gotten just a tad better since I got somatic tinnitus.

Also at work I really messed up my shoulder it was hurting to move and use. And I dropped something on my neck lol.

One more thing it changes when I move my neck and jaw like when I clench my jaw. It sounds like it's pulsating too.

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @Leo Pappas.

I am not a doctor, so I have no training or qualifications from with to base anything I say here. But, that being said,
      I am not familiar with somatic tinnitus (I did a little research after reading your post originally), but some articles I read indicate that problems with the jaw, and in particular the TMJ, can be connected with the causes of somatic tinnitus. And were you mentioned that clenching your jaw affects what you hear, you may want to consider getting that checked out by an ENT.

From a general tinnitus perspective, there is hope, especially since your tinnitus is very new.

@Bill Bauer wrote the following post discussing studies that show a fairly high recovery rate from tinnitus ( https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/spontaneous-recovery-stats-over-70-recover-3-studies.21441/ )

Now, it is important to say that everyone experiences tinnitus differently, and while the above link shows a fairly high recovery rate, recovery is not guaranteed. It is worth also looking into habituation techniques while trying to find a better solution, as for many, habituation may be the only viable option.

@Michael Leigh has a number of great posts with a wealth of information. As you are dealing with tinnitus and not hyperacusis, I would suggest starting with this post of his https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/ It will give you some great information on tinnitus including a list of options to help potentially solve the problem, and options to help learn to cope with it if it cannot be solved.

As many here have and will say, remaining positive is very important. Michael also wrote a great post on how negativity can affect tinnitus https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/ .

And @billie48 wrote his success story demonstrating how positivity helped him habituate.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/ .

Along with the names already mentioned, I would suggest seeking out posts by others such as @glynis , @Bobbie7 , @fishbone, and anyone else who's posts you have read and have struck a chord. I would suggest reading their "Introduce Yourself" posts; I, personally, have found reading those posts from others comforting in that is shows how they were feeling at the point of desperation that led them to this forum, and the realization that, while no one in my real life understands what I am experiencing, my experiences with tinnitus are not completely unique, and there are many others who understand what we are going through. That is comforting. It is sad that so many wonderful people here are also suffering with this, it is comforting that we are not alone.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leo Pappas

Leo Pappas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/4/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the support but I had tinnitus for a year and half. Lol so I already habituated. All I wanna do is find a way to either get rid of this somatic tinnitus that just randomly showed up. Or find someway to reduce it but one thing I wanna add is when I sleep and wake up it calms down :\ so thanks for the help