Tinnitus Is 90% Emotions, 10% Real Sound

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fish, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Some weeks ago I have joined an experimental treatment I should not write about just yet (I will when the time comes, I promise). My point is, as a part of this treatment I undergo an extensive evaluation of T including my perception of it, it's factual loudness and hearing tests.

In the beginning of this therapy I must say I felt quite good. T was still a problem to me, but I coped somehow, did my usual daily activities, tried not to think too much about T. During that time I had first evaluation of T.

Then, few more days into the treatment I had a major spike that left me panicking and full of regrets that I made this decision. I couldn't sleep, I got obsessed again and thought about T way too much. My new, louder T was again measured... and to my surprise the volume has been exactly the same as before. I was 100% sure it has gotten worse, louder. In reality nothing has changed but my attitude towards it. After I have been reassured that there is no reason to worry about and my T hasn't in fact gotten worse, it stopped bothering me so much again. It has returned to a "baseline" level after few more days.

It really depends so much how we perceive our T. If we act very emotional, if we have other problems or depression, all this can really exacerbate the noise in our ears. As difficult as it sounds, we need to stay calm and not worry about it too much. Controlling our emotions is the key to fight this condition.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      That is a powerful message. If only new sufferers could find a way to reassure themselves of the same thing. It's the only real message I have for anyone new.

Good luck Fish, sounds promising and something like a CBT-based approach.

• Like Like x 1
    3. oliver
      Stressed

oliver Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011
      This is a very interesting stance. I often wonder if my T is worse because I obsess, spending most of my waking hours questioning, thinking about and evaluating it.
      I should begin realigning my conscious mind, in a kind of meditational method, I guess. Its not as easy as that sounds, though!
      Please keep us posted on your progress Fish!

4. DezDog
      Angry

DezDog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      >
      In my mind, absolutely no question about it. My GP told me the same thing, and it was the key to getting back to normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Well... I don't really know what to think of it. I had a one more tinnitus loudness measurement this morning and it turns out it went down 5db since my previous evaluation. Also, I have been told there was a smaller decrease in volume each previous visit. Apparently my tinnitus is now slightly lower than before I have started the treatment. Not much of an improvement is it. But I have to admit so far this was the only thing that actually worked for me.

The problem is, I cannot really tell the difference. I am not saying I don't feel better. I actually do. But it feels like I am more getting used to it than getting relief from T.

6. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Good thread...

Ya know, when I have the moments of no T and then the T comes back, I tend to notice it and can (although not always) get irritated for a brief period until I stop becoming aware of it.

I have been trying to remember to do the Reflexercise more often. I get busy and forget for hours at a time. It has really helped bring down my "stress" reaction (flight or fight) that I can get stuck in.

7. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I sure hope T is more of brain noise so I can habituate faster...if it's something physiological and T is unstable it would be harder to.

8. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      when i get "emotionally cornered" by the whole tinnitus experience, i have a little joke with myself

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit...that tinnitus..... its only in my head ......... ;0

9. Gail50

Gail50 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I am positive it is 90% emotional because my was brought on by stress and these days if I get upset about anything it spikes

10. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      stress is always a factor do to the positioning of the auditory systems and the hypothalamus but there are two many factor to assume everyone T is like yours. sometimes for some people its mostly emotion but others have inner ear damage or compress nerves or blood vessels, or ototoxic medication. there are many sources of T

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Stress and my emotional state magnify all my body symptoms including tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Stress and even bad sleep seem to have no impact on my T.

13. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Oh there we go again.

@whale said everything, there are hundreds of causes for tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    14. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Which brings me back to the point I made in the other thread.

15. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Yep, I'll answer to that, I think we've come to an agreement ;)

16. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Here's another thought; the negative emotions simply would not exist without the pain and noise, and you wouldn't have to waste time and energy trying to reframe the way you think about them.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Indeed you are right man, you speak a lot of sense.

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think this just comes down to more of "we're all different" ;) In my case I know this is definitely not true, because I had all of the same obsession/misery/rumination in relation to a couple other annoying physical problems, years before my tinnitus really became a bother. So, for me, those shitty emotional pathways were already well established and tinnitus was just another use case for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. whale
      No Mood

whale Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/25/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Myofascial crap Bruxism, a jackhammer, stress who knows
      There is a theory of the brains plasticity or neuroplasticity and how tinnitus makes itself known under certain events and state of mind. The lower the neuroplasticity the hight the chance you get T, and yes depression and anxiety can lower neuroplasticity but so can a concussion, low oxygen, dyslexia or any number of brain condition. Yes human have less natural resilience when under stress and the plasticity can drop and when there is a low neuroplasticity and higher activity in the cochlear nucleus there is a higher change of neurons firing off at unsynchronized rates inducing T. but there are many conditions that can lower plasticity and plenty of condition that can increase activity in cochlear nucleus. I do however believe improving your depression and anxiety can only improve plasticity and assist in recovery.

20. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      Uh...no it's actually a physical manifestation of a physiological issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      How do they measure your tinnitus?

22. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Apart from certain cases of pulsatile T, tonal T can't be objectively measured. At least not yet.

23. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Don't you understand it's in your head so you have the control if you want ? :banghead:

24. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      If I had control of these noises in my head they would not be there. Period. This is just victim blaming.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Joking man, relax. I'm tired too of the constant "anxiety" speech.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Had a feeling you were man after I posted. Sarcasm antenna not working the best today

27. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      My T isn't affected by stress, sleep or nutrition. I have tried everything but it lives it's own life. It cam be lower on stressful days without sleep and vice versa. It such a common thing here sadly, that when someone has an insight about their T, they often think it applies to everyone. Every T is unique, with their unique properties.

• Agree Agree x 5
    28. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You know when you get really hungry? Like when you haven't eaten for over a day? Imagine not eating for a week. Now that feeling you get, I can assure you, is 90% emotional. Do some relaxation exercises and meditation and you'll forget about your hunger.

• Funny Funny x 3
    29. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      What? are you a complete IDIOT!!!!!!!

30. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't understand why some of you can't accept that different people have different experiences of "tinnitus" and for some it is as much a psychological problem as "physiological", yes even in cases of subjectively loud tinnitus.