Tinnitus: Is This What Happens When the Brain's Gatekeeper Breaks Down?

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Waldo Bracamontes, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Waldo Bracamontes

Waldo Bracamontes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      When I woke up this morning my tinnitus wasn't as extremely severe as it normally is. I talked to my neuro about my conditions and he also said that the greatest hope is still from this older information study link below. I think it might be worth the time to also hit the blue link within this article and then read some of the article on the right side.

My doctor feels that a drug could be developed to turn tinnitus off, but any development must come from a large drug company. This would be very experience so caution of failure of an outcome worries the publicly traded drug companies. He thinks there will be agreement to launch several small trials in different locations once the research related in this link shows a little more promise. Finding and using compounds from data banks isn't the problem, it's having it work.

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/news/2011/tinnitus-what-happens-when-brains-gatekeeper-breaks-down

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Greg Sacramento

Your tinnitus reaches severe levels as mine does. I have a feeling that yours is made worse by "near field" computer use. If it possible, try and reduce your computer use or try a set-up as like mine. Having the base unit preferably in another room. Then use an external monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse. This worked for me when my tinnitus reached severe levels in 2008. Two electronic engineers that have tinnitus advised me to do the above and the intensity of my tinnitus did reduce. It took 4 years to habituate. I still use this set-up. Something to consider. I have recommended to other people with severe tinnitus and they've noticed some improvement. Please see a post below by someone that tried my idea and reduced his computer use: Mr Paul Murphy.

Michael

Big Improvement, by Paul Murphy.
      Thanks to a member on here! ..... but I can't remember who he is upload_2017-10-23_19-16-51.gif
      Someone on here said tinittus could be made worse by computer use ..... so I've reduced my time on computers and my tinnitus has almost gone.
      ..... so whoever you are ...... A big thank you from me

• Like Like x 2
    5. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Michael Leigh I have a fairly new all-in-one large screen computer. The fan does make a low level ultra pitch. I couldn't hear this sound before my new tinnitus and hyperacusis.

The fan noise comes from the right side and I do notice that my tinnitus will ring harder in right ear when behind the screen. Normally my left ear is screaming louder when not using the computer.

I do have a wireless keyboard and mouse.

This post could be worded better, but my T is now going to an extreme level.

Thank you

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am very sorry to hear of the discomfort that you are in and know how it feels. Your posts are always well written and articulate and this one is the same. I just have a feeling that being in close proximity to your PC is contributing to making your tinnitus worse. If your job entails working at the PC even more so. I'm so sorry that you're in so much discomfort.

Hope you get some relief soon.
      All the best
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      This is a good thread. I think there should be more extensive information related to this topic as majority of the users here probably acquaint with. Dr. Josef Rauschecker believes that Tinnitus could be cured or possibly turned off with the use of certain medication or stimulation. He has an extensive video explaining his theories and thoughts.

8. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      That is an interesting observation with regards to the link between computer use and T, and has me thinking, computes probably by their very nature emit frequencies outside the normal range of hearing, those constant frequencies impinge upon the ear and as a consequence cause sympathetic resonance within the skull, the net result being that T is accentuated as a consequence. its a stab in the dark on my part but, what to other members think?

9. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It would be terrible if such is the case, seeing as how many are using computers and being close to computers daily. Even worse if only a few people are affected as that will make it even harder to determine if computers are contributing to T or not.

I myself spend the majority of my days next to my desktop PC since my tinnitus became loud, and it is what I mainly use to produce any masking noises, as well as doing all of my work.
      Then again, I know many who spend the majority of their day next to computers and they are 100% fine.

• Creative Creative x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      In 2008 my tinnitus increased to quite severe levels, I believe by noise exposure. I was convinced it was made worse when using a computer so wrote to a tinnitus journal that had a readers letter page, to ask if anyone else was affected by "near field" computer use. That's when two electronic engineers that have tinnitus advised me to move the base unit to another room and pleased that I did. If I use a Laptop for longer than 30 minutes my tinnitus becomes more intrusive and if I'm on it longer the next day the tinnitus is quite loud.

Michael

11. Akk

Akk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkonown
      I worked a long time (years) in office large color laser printer near on my left side. When I began hear something odd in my left ear, I though that it was the printer. Finally I realized that was my ear, sound was very similar high pitch sound that comes from printer. I wonder could this trigger T on ?

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      We are all different and sometimes anything is possible.