Tinnitus Made Worse by Microsuction and Ear Irrigation

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Els, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Els

Els Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and stress
      Hi everyone,

New to the forum here. I was having a look back in December as I was depressed and seemed to focus in on my tinnitus which I'd had no bother with since getting it 2 years ago, just looking at supplements etc and opportunities for reduction. Then after my sister had a great outcome from microsuction I went to the same audiologist. I only had soft wax in one ear and no other issues but tinnitus in both so in hindsight it was very unlikely to help.

Instead it has made it worse. A lot worse so I now have to use masking sounds and have disturbed sleep, waking at 4 or 5 am. I know this has been caused by the procedures as my right ear had ear irrigation and then microsuction and now my tinnitus is much louder in that ear than the left which had a bit of wax mostly manually removed. The audiologist gave me no information or a consent form. I have since seen numerous places that give consent forms and info sheets detailing that these procedures can cause or exacerbate existing tinnitus. The BSA and NICE guidelines (UK) detail this.

It has been 8 weeks since this. Is it likely that it will go back to how it was?

Also does anyone think I have any legal recourse here as I wasn't given informed consent. I have been left so depressed and at times suicidal and taking time off work. I feel this shouldn't be allowed and I should have compensation! If I'd have seen an info sheet I would've left without having it done as I had no problems with my ears, just the vain hope that the procedure would improve my tinnitus. I feel like a rash idiot as it's all over the internet and this forum that it's potentially not worth the risk.

I have no idea why he had to do irrigation first, this was not explained to me. This part was painful. He also emphatically said drops not needed which I can see from most other places is rubbish. At least I had soft wax and the procedures didn't last long, all done in 5 minutes including the video inspection. I phoned the audiologist a week later asking why he didn't warn me or give me a consent form, and he said it's very rare that the procedures can cause or worsen tinnitus. I couldn't believe it that he knew of it and chose not to say. This is the problem with these procedures only offered privately. I think he just wanted the money!

I have seen a private ENT who said I have very very good hearing which he thinks has been the problem. That given my hearing is sensitive any threshold shifts would bother me more. I got tinnitus in the first place I believe from a noisy pub/live music and stress as my mum just had a bad diagnosis. I have barely been to many noisy places or used earphones etc much. ENT said there is nothing wrong with my ears at all.

Any advice and support much appreciated.

P.S. Given my current state of mind please don't be too negative about my prognosis etc. Thanks in advance.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Els

Els Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise and stress
      Bump.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Too bad microsuction is supposed to help but it sometimes causes tinnitus. Sorry you are suffering much from your tinnitus. At this stage the best thing you can do for yourself is to remain as calm and positive as you can as this will help reduce stress and anxiety which are known to aggravate tinnitus. Time may be the best healer. Try to do relaxing gentle exercises like leisure walking. Also try to live your life as normal as you can to as to distract from paying attention to tinnitus. It may be hard at first but overtime you will win the battle over the tinnitus tyranny. Have hope that things will improve over time which often will. People do get well from tinnitus caused by microsuction. Here is a success story of it. So have hope. Take care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...-i-had-it-since-2015-from-microsuction.40257/

• Like Like x 1
    4. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      Hi @Els, I'm so sorry you're suffering too after microsuction. I had microsuction in 2016, and it caused a whole lot of problems including painful hyperacusis and tinnitus.

Please feel free to read my thread...

The Dangers of Microsuction

• Like Like x 1