Tinnitus, Meniere's, Anxiety...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Haveitall, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Haveitall

Haveitall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meneires
      In 2013 I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. I lost hearing in left ear and developed tinnitus.

Both fluctuate with amounts of stress, vertigo attacks, weather, salty foods. Not sure if the severe anxiety was the cause or effect of disease or both!! I've been through hell, including a brief dependence on Ativan from using it for fullness and dizziness.

I came through that and enjoyed a six month remission.

But since July 2018 I haven't had a break. I've wanted to cut my ear off and started taking Ativan occasionally to deal with the roar and ringing.

Anyway, last night I increased my Gabapentin from 200 to 300 mg and I felt so much better today. The ear quieted down significantly.

I had a full vertigo attack and woke dizzy one day this week. I think it's all stress related. Just read an article that said all tinnitus regardless of cause has same path to brain. And the GABA receptors block it or something like that.

The fact is the Gabapentin is working for me! I also take 50 mg Zoloft, a histamine shot weekly and Triamterene fluid pill. Yea, great disease.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Welcome, and sorry about what you have to deal with. @glynis also has Meniere's and can give you lots of hints.

Good luck! I'm glad you found something that seems to help you.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Haveitall,

I hope you've discovered some good ways to reduce your stress. -- Welcome to the forum!

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to Tinnitus Talk @Haveitall .
      I totally understand what you are going through as I have Bilateral Tinnitus and Menieres in both ears.
      The vertigo and other symptoms have stopped now and left with severe Bilateral Tinnitus and hearing loss and occasional bought of sickness.

I take Betahistine 16mg 3 times a day .
      I also take Cinnarazine 15mg when needed .
      love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. blissaliss
      Swamped

blissaliss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drugs/ maximum stressful job
      If stress is an on going issue, I highly recommend cozy sleep phones $20, and looking up michael Sealey's sleep hypnosis. There's nothing like his approach. It's increadibly slow, meditative, caring and visual. It decreased stress like nothing I've ever known. It not only masks there sound but bring s your attention far off the Tinnitus.
      It makes a long term difference in anxiety and depression throughout the days. It teaches you to find that ultimate 'im ok' calmness.
      Best wishes!

• Like Like x 1