Tinnitus Much Worse After Checking Tinnitus Frequency with Pure Tone Generator

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Two months ago I used a pure tone generator to check my tinnitus frequency at 1khz.

I set it at a very low volume and listened to it for less than a second but my tinnitus at the frequency spiked immediately afterwards and has been very bad ever since, the worst ever.

Any ideas? I really don't see how this could cause damage. I had used a frequency generator before but never had this issue, actually most of the time it causes residual inhibition.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Well I got tinnitus from testing my ears with pure tones myself, so always be careful with that even on low volumes. Tinnitus can be reactive to some high pitch sounds.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Eric, how are you doing? Did your spike settle? I dont know what you think about it but the MRI exposure is a life changer. It is tinnitus worse enemy. My tinnitus follows the same pattern as yours. After MRI 1 year ago I lost count how many spikes I have had from noise that is not loud at all. Nothing make sense anymore. 2 weeks ago my tinnitus inrease permanently from a afternoon nap. Go and figure. Your spike may have nothing to do with what you were doing. It may be just this shitty condition running its course.

4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      One second at a low volume didn't cause damage, but our tinnitus is at a stage that it's highly reactive to certain noises, that may cause spikes, new sounds, or increases... my advice is do not test your tinnitus, what's the point to know your exact tinnitus frequency(s)? Is this some kind of hobby checking one's tinnitus frequency?

5. Martinf
      Balanced

Martinf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      When I first got tinnitus it was so mild, that I can only hear it when I think of it in a very silent room, I became obsessed with listening to high frequency pure tones, I would play tones everyday in the hope that I would hear them one day (I didn't accept the fact that I lost hearing). Now my tinnitus is screaming so bad that I can hear it in every place.

• Hug Hug x 3
    6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hi Eric, did the tone generator spike die down?? (the one before the caulking incident)

7. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      I'm surprised it's possible to get a spike just from listening to pure tones at low volume.

8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      There are many types of tinnitus, it all depends on the kind you got, but I agree it is the more highly aggressive types of tinnitus that react to things like that, including mine.

As an example, when somebody says oh I go out to movies with tinnitus with no earplugs and nothing happens - and that is quite possible for some folks, that certainly does not mean that's true for the next person with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1