Tinnitus Onset After Nerve Issues (Pain, Burning, Numbness, Pins and Needles)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ChiggyT, Jun 4, 2022.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChiggyT

ChiggyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible nerve issues
      @bobthebuilder, I went to acupuncture today and he said it might also be the case. I've dropped it to 30 mg to see what happens. Given the neck muscle stretches are giving some relief, hoping that and the drop in dosage will help. Problem is the neuropathy kicks up a few gears when I do drop the dosage.

It's mad to think a medicine that is supposed to help nerve pain causes other nerve issues...

2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Discussion: Problems started in February 2020 and Nortriptyline was prescribed in December 2021. These problems quickly extended to spine, shoulders, jaw, face, arms and with bending over. Nortriptyline is labeled to help with burning/numbness/pins & needles, but as a side effect it can also cause these concerns. You may now be dependent on Nortriptyline - which can increase problems, but tapering could also increase problems as you mention. Try a slow taper and monitor effect on the way down.
      Today, I spoke with my former medical team per your situation. They reviewed this thread and my last post which was to @Travis Henry. They are in full agreement with what I said to Travis. They also said this is part of your problem. Go to my history and look for my post made today to Travis. Also read the article I gave Travis.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ChiggyT

ChiggyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible nerve issues
      @Greg Sacramento, thanks for the above. I've tried to find the specific post/article you kindly gave to Travis. I will keep digging...

This is now day 7 of 30 mg on Nortriptyline, down from 40 mg. Overview of symptoms below:
      • Tinnitus - no change. I had a spike yesterday whereby no neck movements/stretches seemed to reduce the noise. It's come down since, perhaps due to extra massaging of the neck/shoulders, particularly the SCM.
      • Neuropathy - increased. Suspect this is due to decrease in dosage.
      • Jaw pain - decreased. No ascertainable reason.
      • Metallic/blood taste - increased. Able to taste blood but with no physical blood appearing in mouth, which has increased. Comes with a dry mouth as well. I did a small bit of exercise today which seemed to increase metallic taste.
      • Heart rate - no change. Still just under 90bpm.
      • Right side of neck - no change. Still shorter than left side (tinnitus in left ear).
      • Ear crackle - no change. Still there when I swallow.
      I had my audiology exam and brain MRI on Friday, with results this Thursday. Will update once I hear more. Just to also map out the sequence of my issues:
      • Feb 2021: went on a run, right foot + right hip + right knee buckled. Subsided after a few days.
      • Mar 2021: right foot begins to hurt around plantar region, then to top of foot. Left foot follows.
      • Apr 2021: burning sensation under right glute begins when sitting.
      • May 2021: burning sensation spreads to left glute.
      • Jun 2021: pins & needles/numbness spreads to hands and feet, pain in back.
      • Jul 2021: pain spreads upwords. General neuropathy gets worse through body.
      • Aug 2021: begin Amitriptyline. Symptoms subside.
      • Nov 2021: come off Amitriptyline altogether due to side effects (severe drowsiness). Symptoms return.
      • Dec 2021: start Nortriptyline, 10 mg. Symptoms subside.
      • Feb 2022: start running again, symptoms increase.
      • Feb 2022: increase Nortriptyline to 20 mg, symptoms subside.
      • Mar 2022: catch COVID-19, no complications during infection.
      • Apr 2022: Neuropathic symptoms come up again, switch to 20/40 mg. Ear clogging/pain/tinnitus/ear crackling slowly begin.
      • May 2022: Neck & jaw pain starts, tinnitus gets worse. Neuropathy still the same. Switch to 40 mg Nortriptyline.
      • Jun 2022: Neck/jaw pain & tinnitus worsen. Neuropathy comes and goes. Metallic taste in mouth begins. Heart rate increases. Find that muscle stretches tends to decrease tinnitus.
      • Mid-Jun 2022: drop to 30 mg Nortriptyline (see symptoms above).

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      @ChiggyT, I know you have not been on Tinnitus Talk in a while, but if you are alerted by this post, how are you now?

I read through and found a surprising number of closely related symptoms.

Numbness in legs and ankles, pins and needles now in both hands when waking despite not lying on them, severe dry mouth when waking, very bad ear crackling, etc.

I'm on no type of medication though, but despite seeing both a neurologist and rheumatologist (who both feel I am fit, healthy and well - and had extended blood tests), I feel I have nowhere left to turn.

I didn't realise the correlation between ear crackle, numbness, pins and needles and severe dry mouth.

Mine seems to have started with ear canal trauma by microsuction (possible nerve damage) and then made worse by custom earplug fitting - which may again have triggered nerve issue (my hand pins and needles didn't start until then).

I have incredibly severe tinnitus too, which makes all of this, without answer and all tests coming back clean, particularly debilitating.

Did you ever get any answers?