Tinnitus or Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Agnius, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Agnius

Agnius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Guys, I need your help, can you tell me is it tinnitus or eustachian tube dysfunction?

- I have noise in my right ear for 5 months
      - I developed this noise after pneumonia
      - It's low hum/vibration sound (like fridge or motor engine), even if I mask the sound I can still feel vibration inside
      - Hum noise is changing, sometimes it's irregular "zzzzz...zzzzzz....zzzzz" but sometimes it's constant "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
      - After hot shower noise disappears for ~30 min
      - After physical exercises noise disappears for ~30 min
      - When I shake my head noise disappears for a few seconds
      - When I put my finger inside my ear noise disappears for a few seconds
      - Noise is the worst when I sit and lay in the bed
      - Physical ear examination and audiogram results are fine

I am just asking, because my doctor told me it's tinnitus, but I think most people with tinnitus have high pitched sound in their head, I feel like my sypmtoms are physical and it's more complication of my pneumonia. However I have no idea what is it and how to cure it. I tryed antibiotics, antihistamines, nasal drops, hot sprays, muscle relaxants, magnesium, xanax, olive oil... Nothing helps.

Thank you

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. zmogedra

zmogedra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016 02 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Inner ear infection
      Does not sound like tinnitus. My guess would be something to do with air flow. Tell me what happens if you hold your breath?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agnius

Agnius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If I hold my breath the noise stops, but I can't hold it like forever

4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Well it is tinnitus, by its very definition, since you hear noise when there is no external stimulus. But tinnitus is just a symptom, it's not a disease. If you can find the root cause and eradicate it then you can quite possibly get rid of tinnitus.
      Also, tinnitus comes in many shapes or forms, including low pitch, mid pitch, and noise (no tone), static, morse, typewriter, etc... not just high pitch sounds (even though that's what I experience).

5. KeyLime
      No Mood

KeyLime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I'm learning that tinnitus is a crazy thing!

Yes, you do have tinnitus...hearing a noise that is not there is tinnitus. Now, could it be caused by Eustachian tube dysfunction? Yes, maybe.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I developed a low humming sound during an upper respitory infection. Like your tinnitus, sometimes it "pulses" (but not with my heartbeat), but mostly it's consistent. When I shake my head it disappears for a second too. However, I don't get relief from a shower or exercise. If anything it gets louder for me then. My audiogram showed a little bit of low frequency hearing loss, but nothing too bad.

Have you tried a low sodium diet? I read that can be helpful for inner ear issues and also for ETD...and let's face it, the easiest way to cut sodium is to cut processed foods, and there's not a medical professional out there who is going to say that's a bad idea. ;)

I hope you find some relief soon!

6. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      It could be patulous eustachian tube

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agnius

Agnius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree about tinnitus definition, but when people talk about tinnitus most of them have in mind high pitched tinnitus in their heads. I just have in mind that my symptoms are a bit different. It's hard to explain to my ENT doctor.

KeyLime I will try the diet, thanks for your advice!

I just wonder if it's patulous eustachian tube why Sudafed ais not working in my case?
      It should relief the pressure in my inner ear.

Take care all of you

8. zmogedra

zmogedra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016 02 19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Inner ear infection
      Stay positive @Agnius your symptoms are very different from tinnitus. And the fact that hot shower eliminates the sound is a very promising sign. My guess raised body temperature expands something (like eustachian tube or nose canal) that is giving you the noise when the air flows.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agnius

Agnius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I
      Thank you, I don't know if it's related, but I have deviated septum and I can't breath through one side of my nose, I had a surgery but it didn't help much, however I have this problem for a long time, so I am not sure if there is any connection.

P. S. I read it's possible to do sinus CT scan, my ENT doctor has never mentioned this before, maybe I should ask for it?

10. AdamR

AdamR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Edit : oh i see you have been to an ENT doctor. Dont hesitate to get a second opinion from a different doctor.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Agnius

Agnius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What did you write before? My doctor hasn't helped me much, I will try to find another one.

12. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      A lot of people have low hum tinnitus including myself. It varies in intensity. I find eating carbs can quieten it down a bit. Also saffron can help.

13. Ernesto

Ernesto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hit in my ear
      Hi @Agnius,
      I think your problem could be related to the ETD.
      And it should be solved if you have a myringotomy surgery (a very small perforation in the eardrum). I think your T has to do with the pressure in the middle ear, and that kind of surgery solves it.
      I have a similar problem and will undergo that surgery.
      Regards,

14. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have the same one. Goes away when I take a shower too for a while, although all of its friends stick around.