Tinnitus Possibly from Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Spencer123, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Spencer123

Spencer123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24, 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Covid Vaccine
      I have had unilateral tinnitus for the last 2 months in only my left ear. It's a constant high pitch ringing. I am a healthy 32-year-old male. The tinnitus started 9 days after I got my second Moderna COVID-19 jab. I am hypothesizing that this was the cause as there were no other obvious catalysts in my life and I have never had tinnitus before. Doctor looked at my ear and saw nothing wrong... still waiting for an ENT appointment but I am not too hopeful based on what I have read about ENTs and tinnitus.

Desperately searching for a way to get this to stop and have tried all sort of over the counter stuff and diet changes but haven't experienced any substantive relief. Interestingly, the tinnitus get louder when I stretch my neck far to either side or open my jaw as far as I can. Otherwise it is just a constant ringing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hey man, sorry this happened to you. This has been happening to a small percentage of people unfortunately and to me possibly as well. Only thing that will help is time and not being stressed (hard I know). Be careful with ototoxic meds and (loud) MRIs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. anotherforumuser

anotherforumuser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      15 may 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI + probably neck
      I think when you mention "Interestingly, the tinnitus get louder when I stretch my neck far to either side or open my jaw as far as I can", you could be on an interesting track. Use the forum searcher to look for threads on neck tinnitus, as so many people have tinnitus whose deep origin eventually happens to be some TMJD or neck (and also of course Google articles, YouTube).

4. LaMarge
      Wishful

LaMarge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2nd Pfizer Vaccine
      I too began to experience tinnitus after receiving 2nd pfizer dose. I initially began to experience light headedness about 2 days after the 2nd dose and then vertigo about 5 days post 2nd dose (never experienced that before). I then had 3 days of feeling "normal" until I woke up one night with loud ear ringing. This started in my right ear and eventually both ears. it has been non stop ever since.
      I have read about supplements helping others who have had the same side effect. For some people it did calm down after some time. Mine was so bad I had a difficult time putting thoughts together, it was horrifying, but it has calmed a bit and has become manageable with white noise. I have learned from a family doctor that anxiety and stress can be a huge factor!
      I did go see an ENT and all my tests came back normal, my hearing is 100% which was a huge relief! I saw an urgent care Dr. as well and he recommended neck exercises since the tinnitus gets louder for me with neck movements as well.
      This is all so bizarre, nut I am hopeful for all of us!

5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Did you guys improve from tinnitus likely produced by the vaccine?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Spencer123

Spencer123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 24, 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna Covid Vaccine
      Just a follow up for anyone interested...

I was finally able to get a hearing test and see an ENT after months of waiting. My hearing results came back totally normal. It was a very short conversation with the ENT. She said the tinnitus was most likely from the vaccine and that she has seen a significant increase in new patients reporting tinnitus since the vaccine rollout, coming in 1-4 weeks after getting the shot.

The tinnitus itself persists. It has been 7 months with no significant change, although I do notice it more frequently in my right ear as well now. I had a head cold a few weeks ago and it got super loud for me - 6 or 7 out of 10, usually it is more like a 2. Luckily it came back to a 2 once my cold was gone.

• Like Like x 1