Tinnitus Relapse

Discussion in 'Support' started by 1MW, Apr 2, 2018.

1. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I had tinnitus for many years from sudden hearing loss which resolved almost completely with corticosteroids. It was cured-relapsed I think 3 times from 2008.
      My tinnitus responds to corticosteroids / benzodiazepines / potassium channel openers (retigabine-flupirtine)

Before 10 months I got a mild sudden hearing loss (at 500hz) that resolved completely in 1 day with pulse corticosteroids - 500mg iv methyprednisolone for 3 days after that tapering.

Now the last 3 months I have started benzos because I had sleep problems and I have developed hyperacusis and tinnitus again.

This time I'm sure that it is benzo induced tinnitus.

I have taken about 1.5-2.5 mg lorazepam per day (every night) for 2 months and I have experienced withdrawal between doses with migraines, ear pain, hyperacusis and tinnitus.

So last 10 days I have switched to diazepam, migraines disappeared because it has a longer half life to taper and I'm now on 2.5mg diazepam but I have tinnitus all the time. Plus I drink a lot of teas with valerian to potentiate diazepam.

My tinnitus can stop completely with 16mg methylprednisolone or 2mg lorazepam for 12 hours.

I want to stop benzos completely but I need retigabine or flupirtine.
      Retigabine is out of the market so is not an option.

Where can I find flupirtine to replace benzos? I have contacted a friend in Germany and he told me that it does not exist in Germany pharmacies anymore.

Now my main problem is high frequency tinnitus at about 8 kHz but I had some episodes of low frequency tinnitus.
      Low Frequency tinnitus is total disaster, much worse than HF.
      My T varies from 0.5 to 8.

With lorazepam I had 0 tinnitus for some hours, with diazepam my tinnitus is more stable but it is never 0.

Can someone help me to obtain flupirtine or retigabine?

I prefer flupirtine because retigabine sometimes works and hits me hard, other times does not work,
      for some reason some pills are very potent and other pills are completely air.

But flupirtine at 400mg is better for my tinnitus.

I know it has high hepatoxicity but I can measure my liver enzymes every 5 days so this is not a problem for me.

I want something to sleep and to reduce tinnitus for 1-2 months as alternative to benzos.

After I quit benzos I have a plan for slow infusion flumazenil to reverse GABAa receptors that are downregulated from benzos.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      In 2016, the ATA held webinar on tinnitus pharmacology (incl. existing medication on the market and future medication geared specifically towards treating tinnitus by two respective presenters):

Pharmacology: What Drugs Are Being Targeted...

In the segment concerning benzodiazepines (14:00 to 15:18), Dr. Hoffer mentions that although two benzos have shown some potential in reducing symptoms of tinnitus, there is the possibility of a rebound effect upon cessation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      Lorazepam also makes my tinnitus low, when I was addicted to it for about two months I took 1mg. But withdrawal increased my T, so now I have to take 0.5mg to get silents on the day after.

This is first time I reading about infusion flumazenil, looks like it might be my ticket out of benzos, because flumazenil can reset the sensitivity of the GABAA receptors, it restores the GABAA receptor to its pre-drug state.

Please update after you get a flumazenil infusion.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Before 2 days I had tinnitus 0.5 but yesterday when I got lower dose of diazepam (1.5mg from 2mg) my tinnitus went to 8-10 very bad.

So today I got dexamethasone 0.5mg diazepam 3mg lorazepam 0.1mg retigabine 400mg valerian chamomile NAC vitamins. Only slight improvement with these...

I know I have problem with my ear but this time the T and H is benzo induced.
      My H is not pure H is a type of H that sounds >= 10-15dB increase my T for many hours only total silence gives me relief. So I'm totally isolated I can not hear my voice I can not see tv and do certain activities.

benzos is the most fucking evil drug that exists I stopped smoking easy but benzos are evil
      cold turkey give you T but and slow tapering gives you T.

My advice if you have T don't take a benzos in most cases T will stop on its own without drugs with hearing protection but if you take benzos will not stop and it will be much worse.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      After some sleep, about 4 hours, I have gone down to 0.5 from 10 yesterday.
      Sleep improves my tinnitus but voices/motorcycles/cars/television makes it worse.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Today i was near to death from bacterial microbiaemia.
      I got 40 celcius degree fever

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Please help me...
      Does anyone sell flupirtine / katadolon in the EU?