Tinnitus Retraining Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Mar 11, 2011.

1. bobvann
      Cheeky

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Same thing with sound therapy meeself (tried 3X).

• Like Like x 1
    2. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yea - perhaps you’re right.

How about ‘we let the liars, cheats and scammers get away with it?’

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have bad tinnitus. I suspect it's a result of using loud headphones over a number of years, although I'm not sure about that, as I have a serious problem with chronic migraine headaches and my tinnitus and my headaches started at about the same time, along with a bowel disorder of some kind that causes my nerves to "tingle" all hours of the day and night. Anyway initially I went and purchased a Neuromonics device, after some frantic searching as my ENT was not helpful in the slightest, so I set Neuromonics to mask out the noise and left it at that.

Then my ears started producing high-pitched sounds that the device could not mask out, and which were only controlled using both my headphones at high volume along with Neuromonics. Then the Neuromonics device broke and given that this was about the 6th time that it had broken I decided not to have it repaired but instead look for a alternative.

Which brings me to the present. I'm trying TRT using Oticon Ruby devices and the noises in my ears shows no signs of abating in the slightest, which make me feel extremely frustrated to listen to this high-pitched buzzing 24/7.

How do I know whether TRT is working or not? I see my audiologist once a week to discuss results and am booked in for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with my local physiologist, which I've been advised could take me up to 2 months to see, but apart from that I'm very much feeling alone and isolated.

I do plan to have my headaches looked at by an Interventional Neuroradiologist, just to eliminate any possibility of my headaches contributing to this, as I've been noticing my ears have been picking up sounds no-one else can hear, such as my breathing in a high-pitched wheezing sound, which further annoys me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Rafalek73

Rafalek73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Can TRT help someone with hearing loss and very variable tinnitus? I have a Signia Motion 13 5Nx hearing aid with a noise generator.

5. Rafalek73

Rafalek73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Nobody knows?

6. weab00
      Alone

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, whiplash; 08/20 H
      TRT is proven not to work for pain hyperacusis/noxacusis, right? Any success story I see for hyperacusis that involves sound therapy was a mild case and just loudness hyperacusis.

Are pain hyperacusis/noxacusis sufferers screwed till regenerative medicine?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    7. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know of at least one ENT that offers hyperaccusis management services. I guess it would depend on the patient's level of hyperacusis severity.

8. Croaker
      Haunting

Croaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Pretty much. That being said there are a ton of stories on here and elsewhere of people that recovered within 1-2 years. I’ve seen some say they had another event and slipped back into it though.

I remain convinced that hyperacusis is simpler than tinnitus and thus can be solved with some kind of neurotransmitter inhibitor/inducer or specialized anti-inflammatory drug. I point to the efficacy of trobalt, benzos, and to a lesser extent alcohol as evidence.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      While TRT may work for some people, it still doesn't remove all of the limitations tinnitus puts on your life.

In modern days it's going to make you extremely anxious and exhausted to look after every possible source of loud noise.

Not to mention how hard is it when you are in your teens and you are an aspiring musician.

Sound enrichment can be brought to you by yourself (earphones are cheap these days, and how do they differ from in-ear maskers?), and there's no point in paying someone just to be told that you have to learn to live with it and have positive mindset. That's something you already know and even if you don't, you'll learn it very soon.

I feel this whole TRT thing is just another way of emptying wallets of chronic suferrers.

Tl;dr: get yourself white noise app on your phone, read positivity thread if you want to get some mental boost and donate money you would otherwise spend on TRT to actual research.

• Like Like x 1
    10. weab00
      Alone

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, whiplash; 08/20 H
      Try that except having pain hyperacusis.