Tinnitus: Ringing in the Brain | Josef Rauschecker | TEDxCharlottesville

Discussion in 'Research News' started by christinefisher, Jan 23, 2017.

1. UnclePete

UnclePete Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      The irony of playing extremely loud high pitched noises in a video for people suffering from tinnitus :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    2. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      This man has been actively working on tinnitus for years and years. I'd say he's the only neuroscience that has a single clue about tinnitus to be honest.

But keep in mind that the word "soon" doesn't mean instantly. We all know there is no such thing as instant gratification with tinnitus. Soon means in the near future but not necessarily in the next few years. But when it comes you'll be thankful for it for the rest of your life.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    3. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      I wish he would have refrained from using the word, soon. You would think he's aware how the use of (soon) would/will/always will "screw" with those suffering with T; not to mention incite a bevy of questions. He could have worded his thoughts in so many other ways. Maybe I'm wrong.

4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      He says “I wish I could reply we’ll have something soon”

Sorry to piss on your chips.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I'm curious, is there an update my mr. Rauschecker? That video was made one and a half year ago. Has he came out with ny updates or new information anywhere on the net?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      • Like Like x 1
    7. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      No offense taken.

I listened again. I see what you are saying, but it all depends upon where you place the comma...Ha!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      In the short term our best hope is for approval of a depression drug that focuses on the same areas of the brain that tinnitus does. Most physical connections to tinnitus also have stress, hypertension and depression input. One is clenching of teeth as one of the 6900 processes and conditions with tens of thousands sub related groups. If something is physically wrong, then that problem can migrate to other physical biological areas including the ears. Read the third to last paragraph starting with "Not all patients..." from Rauschecker.

https://linc.georgetown.edu/projects

• Like Like x 1
    9. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Yes he clearly states that he wished he could say soon but then says "help is on the way" so it's not that hard to translate that into "soon" anyway.

As a little side note about placing the comma correctly: It's very important to place the commas at the right places in a sentence. Here in Sweden we had a prison inmate being killed a long, long time ago, when they were still using pigeons to convey messages, because somebody placed a comma in the wrong place. It's hard to translate directly without the grammar being messed up but the message to the prison was: "Execute, not pardoned", which then led to him being executed instead of the correct message, that arrived a few hours later, witch said: "Execute not, pardoned". Poor guy...

10. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      So, are there anyone here who closely follows the activities and successes of Josef Rauschecker in the field of tinnitus?

Honestly, I almost do not know anything about it. I saw only a movie with him on youtube. What is the name of his laboratory?

He has been dealing with problems of tinnitus for a long time, but so far, apparently, there are no specific models for application. This means that he is still far from really finding help for us?

In general, I do not really understand this disparity in the studies of tinnitus. Susan Shore explores in her own way, Josef Rauschecker in his ...

Is it logical to focus on one thing, or the multiple?