Tinnitus Seems Worse When Going Outside?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinizzy, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi guys,

My tinnitus bothers me most when I'm outside and it interrupts with my life... the noise seems worse when outside. Why is that?

I am so scared right now. I wake up everyday with panic and fear in my body.

Will this nightmare ever end?

2. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey.

Does your tinnitus seem quieter when you're inside and in a quiet area and louder when outside? Also, how long have you had it?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @sanj100 have had it for 2 months now. It interrupts me more when im outside.

4. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Tinizzy. Mine is quite similar in that I've had it a short while (only a month) and it's louder in louder situations and quieter in quieter ones? What type of tinnitus is it? Ringing or hissing? And any idea how it came about?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are fortunate. You are half way to being cured. High pitch tinnitus is a lot harder to ignore compared to hissing. When your T begins to naturally fade, it will need to fade a lot less for it to become bearable, compared to how much it has to fade for someone with high pitch T.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer You might be right. But right now: i dont feel like suffering less than someone with high pitch sound. I am so fucking scared and anxious all day everyday. I wonder if Ill ever be able to overcome this.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know the feeling. During my second month, I had been weeping uncontrollably multiple times a day, every day. And until I had T, I had never cried as an adult.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Bill Bauer It is really awful. I cant stop obsessing over it and really afraid that i wont be able to ever stop obsessing about it

10. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This makes a lot of sense.

Mine is also a faint hissing, that is barely audible in quiet rooms but gets louder when surrounded by noise.

I have a feeling that the fact that it fluctuates might make habituation slightly harder though.

I'm hopeful there will come a point soon where I tune it out of my consciousness completely, which, as you said, should be easier for me than some other people, as it is already less loud/intrusive to begin with.

11. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is the viscous cycle. The more you obsess about it, the more importance your brain assigns it and the louder it might seem. It's all about breaking that cycle. Keep yourself distracted and don't think about it, the more you do this, the more it should fade into the background, and the less of a hold it will have on you. This will then become it's own positive feedback loop. I know this is all easier said than done, as I am going through the same thing as you now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @sanj100 Yes, rationally I know exactly what to do. But how to forget? It is so freaking hard

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you protect your ears from noises and don't get a new acoustic trauma, over the coming months it ought to fade.
      You can't forget, at least not until you've had T for a long time. What you can do now is remind yourself that chances are you will get better as time goes on. Use sound enrichment to give you something else besides T to listen to.

For people who have high pitch T, after several months it often turns into hissing, then it begins to fade. This means that you haven't hurt your ears as much as those people. Your chance to be one of the lucky people for whom T goes away, is higher than for many others.

14. sanj100

sanj100 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is really interesting and makes a lot of sense. From what I've read the reason why I'm getting a hissing is because my T is due to "conductive hearing loss" as I have had two middle ear bones removed due to surgery so there isn't one frequency which has been lost or damaged which is the case with most T sufferers and is why they get a ringing sound. With me there is an amplification issue (as the middle ear bones amplify sound into the inner ear) which means it's across all frequencies. I could be wrong about this though.

I have also read that conductive hearing loss tinnitus (which results in hissing) is much rarer than sensorial hearing loss tinnitus (which results in ringing of the lost frequency).

15. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Tinizzy thats why you can't get over it, once you get your anxiety down (being anxious) the T will go down, how loud is your hissing? Both ears or just the one?

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @josho771 One ear. In silence it seems way quieter than outside..

17. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Tinizzy so like how loud would you say it is? Can you hear it over a tv?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @josho771 Yes can hear it over almost everything. Only not in shower and electronic toothbrush

19. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Tinizzy what caused your tinnitus?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @josho771 I noticed it after watching a movie bout someone with T. Think might be acoustic trauma (2 weeks before the movie)

21. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Mine is similar, and I call it "reactive tinnitus" since i noticed it got louder when external noises made contact to my ear. Some say it's a form of hyperacusis some say it isnt..dont know what to believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Tinizzy yeah maybe, you just need to stop getting so anxious about it, I have anxiety and ocd and a mild T and on about 4 different medications, but I still do my daily stuff

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Tinizzy , protect your ears and I am pretty sure t will subside ..first 3-4 months are super tough but I am sure it will subside .

24. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I don't know if you have hyperacusis or not. If you do, then your ears might be super sensitive to any noise. Since the tinnitus is a new thing for you, all noises can bring on some fear for you. I was there too and many others as well. You are concerned about your ears and want to not make your tinnitus worst.

This is understandable, all of us..including myself was there at one point too. That anxiety of noise/sound is difficult to deal with, eventually after some time....You can get a grip on this matter. It just takes time, you are doing a great job.

It took me 6 months to 1 year to get a grip on my tinnitus, you can do it too...

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @fishbone I really like you having the confidence in me beating this too. And yes, I am afraid of noises outside.

26. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Tinizzy you ever tried anti anxiety meds? I'm not trying to force you to take them because they are addictive unfortunately, but I do take them and they help a lot

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @josho771 I took a few. Tomorrow Im gonna start with therapy so I will wait and see what she suggests.

28. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Tinizzy i take lorazepam for when needed and I will only take 2 a week max, but yeah therapy should be good, I'm still waiting for them to contact me back for my appointment

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tinizzy
      Wishful

Tinizzy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @josho771 Yeah, waiting does take a long time huh. Especially because of summer holidays. Now its ending huray

30. josho771

josho771 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Tinizzy if you don't mind me asking how old are you?