Tinnitus Since June 2017

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kels, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Kels

Kels Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone,

It’s great to find a support group.
      My Tinnitus started about June 2017. At first I just thought it was a noise in my condo and didn’t pay close attention.
      It’s a high decibel screeching sound in my head. Sometimes I notice it more in my left ear but most times it’s just a sound in my head.

I’ve had testing done by ENTs and MiracleEar that show hearing loss at high frequency levels above 4000 decibels.
      Not sure how that loss occurred. It could just be age related.

My tinnitus may or may not be related to that. There’s no clear reason, but I was told that with the hearing loss my brain is trying to send a message and because the nerve fibers may no longer work my brain is sending this new sound I hear.

I’ve also had an MRI and no issues were found or evident.

My left ear was feeling partially blocked for many months, but seems to be finally improving with this Medex Black Radish honey syrup.

But the Tinnitus is still there. Some days louder than others.

I just picked up Betaserv (betahistine dihydrochloride) 8mg tablets, that the pharmacist said might help the Tinnitus.
      Has anyone had success with it?

All for now.
      I just wish for 2018 this Tinnitus goes away completely.

2. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello Kells ,,I can tell you without a doubt with High Freq hearing loss causes Tinnitus ....and not sure where you live in the UK I got free hearing aids,they have literally saved my life when I put them in the T eases by at least 50/70 % allowing me to live my life. I wear them at night on full volume which even in the quiet calms my T down otherwise I would be in a real mess ;not sure how I could deal with it infact. Wish you well ...by the way I can hear ok without them

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Dan RVA

Dan RVA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really sure
      Had not heard of betahistine dihydrocloride, but it sounds interesting. Was that over the counter, or was it a prescription?

I hope it helps you! please let us know how it goes.

Dan

• Like Like x 1
    4. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      @Kels The Serc may help, but I'm not sure 8 mg three time a day will be enough. 16 mg 3 times a day might be more useful. Also, Serc takes a long, long, time to work. I can't say it helped me one way or another after taking it, but it certainly didn't make things worse. Just give it at least a month or two before making any decisions. You may notice a decrease in the blocked/full feeling before noticing a change in the tinnitus.

@Dan RVA , a lot of USA docs aren't familiar with Serc (which is actually called betahistine) or they think it's usesless. Depends on who you ask. If you are interested in trying it you will need to ask your doctor to call in a prescription to a compounding pharmacy. It is not covered by insurance and costs $50 a month. https://preckshotpharmacy.com/

• Like Like x 2
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There is a high chance that it is related to that. There is a strong correlation between hearing loss and Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    6. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      in a way this is a ridiculous situation, I mean 30 years ago the weapon of choice for ENTs was serc and steroid nasal spray... "now go away theres a good chap thatll shut you up for while" in 2018 what have they got er er serc and er er Betanase spray..........

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kels

Kels Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Dan RVA, I got it from my pharmacist in Dubai. It cost roughly $27 for 8mg tablets Box of 100 tablets.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kels

Kels Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That’s what I’m afraid of. Then we need to hope the regrowth of the nerve sensory follicles (not sure of the terminology) will be a real solution someday soon.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kels

Kels Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m a yank and currently live in UAE.
      I was thinking maybe a hearing aid might help, so I went to MirackeEar while in the States. Based on my test results they said a hearing aid wouldn’t be much help unless my hearing loss was more significant. And that I should monitor my hearing annually.

So that’s not great and I still have Tinnitus.

I’m actually afraid to listen to music with headphones now. I’m thinking that may have contributed to the hearing loss...along with stress. :-(

10. Dan RVA

Dan RVA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not really sure
      I wore hearing aids for a couple years, they helped fill in the missing higher pitched frequencies that I had lost. I went back for another hearing test this year and was told my hearing had gotten considerably worse. I have an appointment with a local hospital that has a hearing center and I am going to work with the audiologist there to get a new set of hearing aids with more advanced capabilities than my current set. Hopefully that will also help with my t.

If the hearing aids aren't too expensive, you should give them a try. You may like how they help.

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Indeed, many of us are looking forward to hearing loss treatments. We hope that it will have a positive on Tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2