Tinnitus So Long I Don't Remember Not Having It — Probably from Loud Music, Lawn Equipment, Guns...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by KYGuitarMan, Apr 16, 2021.

1. KYGuitarMan

KYGuitarMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I can't remember not having it....
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sounds
      I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 70 year old guy from Kentucky USA. I can't remember when I haven't had tinnitus, but surely there was a time when I was a kid.

My tinnitus is likely noise induced from loud music, lawn equipment and some exposure to guns when in the service. It's 24/7/365.

Right now, I'm shopping for new hearing aids and having a little bit of a time with it (only my second pair). I do know that white noise helps as one of the hearing aids I've trialed was programmed with white noise at a specific frequency and it really did give some relief.

Anyway, it's good to be here!

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. You are truly an old soldier of living with tinnitus. Members here can learn some wisdom from you how to live with tinnitus for long time. Good to have a veteran of tinnitus to join in our group. Feel free to comment or offer advice to support the newbies.

Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Brain Tumor Dave
      Wishful

Brain Tumor Dave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular Schwannoma / Posterior Fossa Meningioma
      Hi Guitar Man,

Similar situation here. As a kid I contracted "Tokyo Smog Syndrome" while living on Yakota AFB, Tachikawa, Japan. Those bleeding ear infections more than 50 years ago set me up for a whole life of tinnitus. Like you; I can't remember a time without it. I can't remember ever experiencing "silence." I've even asked people what it's like to not have it. Like a color blind person wanting to hear someone describe purple.

Thank you for your service.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve had mine for 26 years and habituated really well. Unfortunately, after hysterectomy and a lot of stress it’s spiked four weeks post op, and the spike has now lasted for three weeks x

• Hug Hug x 1