Tinnitus So Loud It Hurts

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have been sleeping with no noise to distract me from my t lately. Both ears and head scream but I manage to fall asleep...some nights it doesn't seem possible but I somehow manage.

The ear that I place on the pillow gets so loud that I could swear I was laying on a speaker cranked full volume and not a pillow. The noise is so intense it turns into ear piercing pain. My ears actually feel like they are hot after a while from the pain of the noise. I just lay there and take it, try and ignore it until I crash.

How can this be? Am I imagining this pain? This condition blows my mind every day.

Can anyone relate to this?

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 3
    2. MattL
      Jaded

MattL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's
      Absolutely. Trying to get to sleep is the worst. I can't offer any helpful advice on this, but you're not alone with that feeling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Hi Telis,

Yes absolutly ... in the beginning I could only sleep on my back and could not put my ear on a pillow because the noise became to loud. Now it's possible for me though because the T is lower, but for a lot of months I was just sleeping on my back waiting to fall a sleep....and yes my ear become warm or something if I put my ear on the pillow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I can actually fall asleep with this, I don't know how sometimes but I do it. It's just so loud it overwhelms me to the point I am in disbelief, not anxious about it while I'm laying there in bed, just more in awe that my ears/brain can produce this level of noise. I could almost swear I'm doing more damage it gets so loud (although I know this is impossible). Very strange condition this is.

That's great your T came down Rico

5. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Well I had 3 bad days because I went to the dentist last week :cautious: I knew this would be trouble, but it seems back to basic again. But again that aweful fealing that my ear became warm and had real pain in my ear is no imadionation. Just try not to force it upon yourself ... I tried that endure it but it made matters worse so I just kept sleeping on my back.

6. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      mine is the same too I come in from a long day and it is loud as hell. If I lay down my ear get hot as hell I lay on my side same thing sound is unbearable I put a fan on in the corner of my bed room just for some sound so I don't go insane doesn't block the T not even close but it something. I don't know what to do are were to go

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Telis ..I have been reading some of your messages and I really feel for you because I have been there.
      It is indeed a strange god damn condition .
      It's amazing you can sleep with no white noise ..good for you .Just like most of the people I hope T goes down .I know you were hooked on Ativan which you quit..not really sure if that's causing such a crazy spike .

• Creative Creative x 1
    8. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Telis ,no your not imagining it ,mine has been loud ,loud in the head loud since last Thursday pm ,not given an inch ,not done or ate ,or drank anything different ,so don't know why it's up this loud .Didnt go to bed till 3 am to it's loudness ,so don't beat yourself up .we all know how it plays up ,I was hoping by now it would have dropped ,no woke up to it again .If ours is this loud for this long has to be happening to others for days straight .
      I slept okay lucky me ,try cat napping sometimes that can help lowering it again if I'm lucky and it works ,think Karen has found this has worked for her .Wish I had answer to help you ,other than the cat nap .

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Telis,

I don't sleep with anything but the fan blowing to rest my ears from white noise and crickets. I also found that if I propped my upper body and head up with a few pillows it seemed to help a little. Laying flat makes mine worse.

I do take gamapentin and remeron at bed and that usually helps me sleep. But thats a whole other topic around here. Without some decent sleep everything else can suffer worse, at least for me.

Sorry for your rough time. This condition sucks so much.
      I hope you do better soon.

• Like Like x 2
    10. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Gee, @Telis, I've had many spikes at severe levels of loudness over the years but they never lasted more than a couple of days nor were they ever physically painful. I sure hope that you're not having to endure that level of misery 24/7...

Do you ever get a break where your T drops down to a moderate level from time to time?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Hey jim...no unfortunately its like this every day. I have a tough time functioning normally in the day (in fact I'm in bed most the day) It's been almost a year and I haven't really made any progress as far as getting used to it....I am pretty much debilitated by it. I think I have to get used to suffering every day, I can't see getting used to this noise and head pain plus bad H.

One thing I'm thankful for is I can sleep, I get so exhausted listening to it all day that my body looks forward to shutting down, I don't hear it in my sleep very often although I do dream about it most nights. I can sleep 12 hours a lot of the time, I guess because the days are hard my system needs it. I could never sleep that much before T. Days are literally counting down each hour looking forward to sleep to get some relief.

Thanks Larry...it's ride in life I could have never in my wildest dreams imagined. I still hope it eases at some point.

I don't want to be negative or scare the new people that might be reading this. I think my T is exceptionally bad, don't think it is normal T. The positive is I am still alive and hoping it will get better one day.

• Hug Hug x 1