Tinnitus Spike After an MRI (with Contrast) — MRA (with Contrast) Scheduled in 2 Weeks

Discussion in 'Support' started by Smartone202, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Very low since2004/Went haywire in 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise in 04/Wedding dance floor and flying(?) in 18
      Years ago I had an MRI and MRA without contrast of the head. Now I am going forward with what I'm viewing as a last ditch effort to try and see if anything at all can be found with regards to my regular (and pulsatile) tinnitus with both an MRI and MRA with contrast of both the head AND the neck, as suggested by a neurologist. My hearing is shot as shown in hearing tests from ENT's (slight hearing loss runs in family anyway), but I'm still looking to explore all possibilities especially since my tinnitus began after loud noise incidents.

Both appointments had to be split up and yesterday was #1 with the MRI/MRA of the head. Long story short - spike city. You really cannot make up just how ridiculous and loud the noises are in that machine. It was absolute torture from the claustrophobic atmosphere to the noise. The sad part is that going into the appointment, for a while my tinnitus had actually been bearable. At levels that weren't too hellacious. But I knew the tests here were something I just had to do.

Anyway I'm really just looking for some support. I've had spikes in the past that have come down, and I expect this one to as well. But if past spikes were any indication, this could take quite sometime. It's really very depressing to me. I'm wondering if I should even bother with the second appointment of the neck.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I remember going through the MRI without earplugs. I had a spike lasted for one month but then it settled.

Try to be calm.

3. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      See what result you get from the first MRI and ask your doctor what he can decipher from it.

Maybe a second one is not absolutely needed? I would be hesitant to get an MRI again. If you must, then try to find a very quiet MRI machine. There are a few threads on Tinnitus Talk about Quiet MRI machines.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Smartone202

Smartone202 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Very low since2004/Went haywire in 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise in 04/Wedding dance floor and flying(?) in 18
      Day 4 post MRI/MRA - zero relief. Really struggling now. Depressed. Just wanted to go home from work today and do absolutely nothing after a brutal day at work listening to SCREAMING tinnitus most of the time. I've been here before though, but this is still brutal. If my past spikes were any indication, this is going to be a while imo.

I cannot tell you how much I'll never take baseline for granted ever again.

• Hug Hug x 2