Tinnitus Spike from Husband Yelling or Stress?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ngo13, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Ngo13

Ngo13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Baby scream (acoustic trauma)
      Hello all. Just wanted to know your opinions on my most recent spike in tinnitus.

I had been doing better for a month where I was able to cope with my tinnitus better. I also felt like it faded a bit more into a hiss than a ring (although it still rang most of the time when I wore earplugs).

Unfortunately yesterday on a long car ride where I was driving, my husband and I got into an argument which resulted in him yelling as loud as he could for a second or two in the car. I was wearing properly inserted foam earplugs but I still felt like my right ear (closest to him) hurt very slightly after. I of course panicked that his yelling could have done more permanent damage since it was so loud, only about a foot or two from me since he was in the passenger seat, and we were in the enclosed space of the car.

I didn't notice any spiking until I woke up in the middle of the night last night, where my tinnitus volume increased dramatically to around how it was a month or two ago when I think I had a different spike. That spike took a week or two to subside. I don't think any new tones were added but the pure tone ringing is much louder and more metallic sounding, particularly in my right ear now. It is much harder to deal with.

Do you think my husband yelling could have caused permanent damage, even though I had earplugs in? Or maybe it's just from the stress of worrying about it so I'm hyperfocused on my tinnitus? I'm honestly surprised I did spike so much as I've been around other loud sounds like a dog barking without protection and didn't spike. I'm so upset because I feel like all the progress I made has been destroyed.

2. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @Ngo13, no, this won't lead to any permanent damage.

Try and calm down. It's a spike, temporary one, and you will be fine.

• Like Like x 4