Tinnitus Spike from School Parents Evening

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mister Muso, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Back from school parents night - hundreds of people chattering away in a hall for a couple of hours, nightmare! I couldn't keep popping my earplugs in and out all night whilst waiting to speak to teachers. Ended up with the worst ear pain I've had for a while, and had to pop out a couple of times. Measured background volume at more than 70 dB and I could still hear my tinnitus rising above it. I feel a spike coming on.

I hope the ear pain isn't anything to do with coming off Amitriptyline due to not being able to cope with the side effects.

I had to go because it's my son's most important year so far, studying for National 5 exams that will be the first ones to go on his CV.

P.S. He's doing fine in everything except Shakespeare. (Do you have to study his works outside the UK?)

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      70 dB doesn't sound *too* bad - though two hours is a long time. I hope you end up okay.

As a potentially helpful tip: EarPeace silicone plugs come with multiple filters, of which the highest level filter (25 dB) is shaped differently than any other filter I've seen so far. Instead of being inserted right into the plug, this filter is shaped more like a thumb tack - the "pin" part inserts into the silicone as usual, but the "head" stays out and covers the entire surface of the silicone (see attached pic). It's more conspicuous than most plugs because it's big and black, but it means that you can pull the filter in and out with just your finger nail, while the plug remains in your ear. So when I need to hear someone, I just pull it out a bit, and when the conversation is over, I just tuck it back in. Never has to come out of my ear.

I don't think that's why it was made that way, but it's been really helpful for me.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Sounds like the earplugs should have remained in throughout the evening. I would think the ear pain and fullness is from the noise exposure. I hope you don't spike from this.

Yes, we read Shakespeare in the US, although we don't have classes dedicated to it in high school, but certainly available at a university.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Yes I'll do that next time, even if it means I don't hear everything clearly and I can't talk so much because of the occlusion effect. My wife usually does most of the talking anyway and I can ask her later about anything I missed.

My ears are hissing away this morning - I had to turn my music off as it was making them worse. At least I'm working at home but got a meal out tonight and another one tomorrow - earplugs will definitely be staying in.