Tinnitus Spike in My Good Ear. Now Both Ears Screaming. Sounds Like Waves Screeching.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scott T, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      I've been in a bad spike for 2 weeks now. Seems like the sounds are screaming in both ears.

How long do spikes like this last? Never had it in my good ear. It’s just like a sound of waves screeching.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Scott T

Spikes happen for a number of reasons and if yours has lasted for 2 weeks the cause is usually (but not always) caused by "sound". Have you been listening to music through headphones even at low volume before the spike? Or going to places where loud music is played? If the spike was caused by sound it may take a while for it to settle down. Please be aware, if it was caused by headphones or exposure to another type of loud sound, it is probably best to be seen at ENT. Please read the post below.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

Are spikes from loud noise permanent?

Someone recently asked me, whether a spike in tinnitus caused by loud noise would be permanent? I don’t think there is a definitive answer, because tinnitus is a complex condition and if hyperacusis is also present it can complicate matters further. Some people habituate to tinnitus but their hyperacusis hasn’t fully cured and this can cause tinnitus to spike.

When a person first develops tinnitus and it was caused by loud noise they have to be careful in future. Tinnitus can and does spike for many people and this is not necessarily caused by loud noise or sounds. After a while it usually returns to baseline or into its normal rhythm. Danger can present itself after a person habituates and the tinnitus has reduced to mild or moderate levels for most of the time. If one isn’t careful, it can be easy to forget and slip back into the old lifestyle of: listening to music through headphones. Attending clubs, concerts and the cinema where sound levels can be quite high.

I believe a person with tinnitus should attend clubs, concerts and the cinema if they want to, providing they use noise-reducing earplugs to protect themselves. However, one should remember that nothing is one hundred percent safe. My advice is to stay clear of large standing floor speakers and if you’re at a concert don’t go to near the front stage where the music is likely to be booming out at high sound levels.

In many instances people will get a warning when visiting these places. If the decibel levels are too high their tinnitus might spike. Usually the tinnitus will return to baseline. However, some people do not pay attention to these warnings and continue to subject their ears to loud sounds and think they are perfectly safe because they are wearing earplugs. Under these circumstances the tinnitus might spike again and this time it might become permanent. I am saying might because nothing is for certain. In my opinion a person with tinnitus needs to follow the warnings their auditory system and tinnitus is telling them.

Regarding headphones. Many people have contacted me after they have habituated to tinnitus and returned to using headphones and listened to music through them at low volume. All of them have noticed an increase in their tinnitus. Some of them noticed their tinnitus spiked but carried on listening to music through headphones and then the tinnitus increased to a higher and more permanent level. It must be said that some people with tinnitus use headphones and have no adverse effects and that is perfectly fine. My opinion on this is, anyone that has tinnitus shouldn’t listen to any type of audio through headphones even at low level.

It saddens to say, if a person doesn’t heed the warning signs their auditory system and tinnitus is telling them, then they will eventually feel because tinnitus is very unforgiving. It is fine when some people are telling others what they want to hear: "listen to music through headphones because life is for living".Go to the club as often as possible you’re safe with earplugs. If your tinnitus increases you will be the one that will be in the suffering.

I have read many posts at Tinnitus Talk, where people had habituated and the tinnitus is low. They returned to listening to music through headphones and clubbing during the week and weekends. Some are now regretting this because their tinnitus has increased and they are in distress. Just because a person habituates doesn't mean they can forget everything and carry on in some instances recklessly. You can of course do this but my advice is to do things in moderation and not to excess, because the end result is often returning to ENT for help and visiting tinnitus forums because you are unable to cope.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      I have not listened to headphones in 2 years nor loud music. Mostly CNN. I’ve only been in places that I usually go. Had a lot of drinks before Xmas weekend. But this seems to have started 2 days after that.

4. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Scott T
      Protect your ears from loud noises with vigilance, no headphones, no clubs or concerts even with protection. Get plenty of rest, and try some melatonin if needed for sleep. Give it a few months, and hope it gets better.

Spikes can last from a few hours, to much longer, even years. Key is to avoid any further damage at this point while still functioning.

Feel better soon!

5. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Scott T Sorry to hear about your spike, they are stressful and the unfortunate reality is nobody really knows.
      Is there a something specific you can attribute this spike to? A noise exposure, any medicatons?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      I had a night of drinking before Xmas. Came home took my nightly usual meds and woke up next morning. Thing is that I think of it now and it did not start until Sunday, where I went out drinking on Thurs night. I just don't get it, nor do a lot of people on this site. This condition sucks...don't know what else to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      At the venue where you were drinking was loud music playing or any type of music? It is unusual for alcohol to cause a spike for so long lasting two weeks. My guess is that your ears have been subjected to loud sound as that is the usual cause.

Michael

8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I've had a bad spike that lasted about 3-4 weeks. it did go down. I was hearing crickets and my ears were super sensitive.

9. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      anything that you did which helped, @JohnAdams?

I'm with a spike as well at the moment, @Scott T, both ears screaming and it is killing me!

10. GWW

GWW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      i grieve when seeing people in earbuds listening to music, talking or whatever. I cannot wear them with my T the way it’s been for over a year. Oh well, such is life I guess.

11. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      When I see them in those earbuds, I feel sorry for them because I am thinking that too many of them will end up with hyperacusis and tinnitus down the road. This has the potential to effect many more people, and at younger ages.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      I'm entering my 3rd week of this bilateral spike. I thought I was on the road to baseline recovery early in the week but the the walls came crashing down and last 2 days with it being raked up a lot. I don’t understand why I have it in my non affected ear either. It's sharp and shrilly. Woke up at 2 am with a new tone in my bad ear but that dissipated. Is it common for the tinnitus to jump all over. Thanks for listening.

13. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Scott T,
      Tinnitus can change in sound and strength and add sounds and in one ear and both and head.
      I would always get your ears checked if starts in another ear in case it's wax.

Hope your spike settles soon.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      I have had a spike for a month now. Some days it seems to be getting better but other days I am like omg... How could I deal with this.

Has anyone had long spikes? Also, spike is in both ears which is messed up.

Never had a problem with my good ear. I think that I messed this up with alcohol before Christmas... too much cheer and now I'm F'd.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      Tinnitus has been in my good ear for the past month. Is it permanent? Did not do anything except a night of climax drinking. Came home and took my meds. Did mixing meds and alcohol set off a explosion in my brain? This sucks!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      Anyone?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      I am in the worst spike of my life. Had tinnitus unilaterally. For the past month it’s been bilateral and not reducing. I did not do anything. No music, no loud noises. Nothing. Klonopin just knocks me out, but does not reduce it anymore. :(:(:(

• Hug Hug x 2
    18. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hi I was wondering if you can update us? Did the spike ever go away?

19. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I hope it did go away for you.