Tinnitus Spike Relieve Thread

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jiri, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Hello everyone,

I figured it would be useful to set up a thread aiming at tinnitus spikes/flare-ups and what we can do about them.

I know we are all individuals and what applies to one person might not necessarily apply to the other one. There is this one common enemy that is holding a lot of us back in our path to dealing better with tinnitus.

I'll start with what I know:
      • a uni ENT told me that if tinnitus gets really bad, one could consider taking a systemic steroid known as Prednisone or Methylprednisolone
      • another way could be taking a medication that relaxes your whole nervous system and the tinnitus spike might have then less severe impact (a benzodiazepine used properly e.g.)
      Please note, that the medication mentioned above should only be used under strict medical supervision.
      • other options may include breathing exercises, mindfulness techniques, meditation, complementary and alternative medicine treatmens (CAM)
      • this video may also be very helpful:
        How to Manage a Tinnitus Spike
      Let's fight together as a team and help each other to forge ahead. Hopefully, some members find the advice shared in this thread helpful, so that we do not always have to just suffer it out.

I would like to ask the members on tinnitus talk to contribute and share with others their tips and tricks that help them to alleviate such an attack. Personal experiences, opinions, helpful links, and videos all welcome.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Davey126

Davey126 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is a great idea @Jiri. I been dealing with a spike that started in feb that I am now thinking is permanent. I won’t give up hope though that one day it might settle. I look forward to reading the responses from other members of the TT family. My advice is to try not to let it stop your life. I wanted to take time out of work, but keeping busy helps. When I give it no attention it doesn’t bother me as much. Also, a good nights sleep really helps with managing your T. If I’m rested T isn’t as intrusive and overall I have a good day. I always tell myself not to let one bad day ruin me because I’m making progress. T is pretty loud but my brain is getting better at ignoring it now at five months in. A positive attitude is really important and the most important advice I can give is have a support system. Never isolate yourself. Always have friends or loved ones you can be with or reach out to when needed. At one point I isolated myself and quickly spiraled downward into depression. Don’t let this happen to you. The anxiety and depression will cause your T to rage and really take over you. Remember it’s a noise that loves attention. Don’t fuel it with anxiety and fear and never be afraid to reach out. When I reached out to loved ones about my T I quickly found out how common it is. My dad and a couple friends deal with it everyday and live a normal life so why can’t I? Well I’m getting there....thanks to my support system of family, friends and of course TT.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is true for me too.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Your emotions can play a huge role, in a spike coming on and how long it can last....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. Nice
      Gloomy

Nice Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden hearing loss
      What is a spike?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is a T spike whenever the sound of T changes in such a way that it is harder to ignore (e.g., an increase in the volume). Some spikes are temporary. Other spikes are permanent. Some spikes have a clear cause, whereas other spikes come out of the blue.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      *It is T spikING
      Have you experienced any fading?

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Trying to relax and staying calm through a spike will help and also keep a note of what you did and liked to get you through a spike -
      Being kind to yourself,
      Girlie shopping,
      Spar day,
      A nice walk
      Treat yourself to a new CD or DVD
      Time with family
      Support off Tinnitus Talk and so on.

love glynis

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    9. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      Great idea for a thread @Jiri !
      Just in terms of overall anxiety, lately I've been drinking a cup of SleepyTime herbal tea (brand name in the States - may be called something different where you are, but a combination of chamomile, spearmint, lemon grass, blackberry leaves, orange blossoms, hawthorn, tilia flowers, and rosebuds) at night and I try to take a little drive later on in the evening after the traffic has died down, just to take my mind off things. (I drink the tea AFTER I've taken my drive!) I only go out for about a half hour or so, and drive pretty much the same route, but I find it enjoyable. It serves a double purpose -- I don't like driving at night and it's good for me to do that to try and get over the anxiety I have about it. (I'm not driving on busy streets, but the fact that I'm out doing it at all is encouraging!) I figure if I start handling and conquering some of these smaller anxieties it will eventually work it's way over to dealing with "t" anxiety. Who knows? Maybe sometimes we have to try an approach that doesn't seem connected at first, but might pay off in some way somewhere down the line. Will be watching this thread -- thanks for starting it!

Mystery Reader

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Bill, I know you experienced like three traumas. Has it gotten better? I am almost 1 year in (September 2018) with tinnitus. Initially I had mild t from Sep-Jan 14 and then Jan 18-Now I had Severe T. I didnt notice any improvement from the second trauma which also resulted in me getting moderate hearing loss. I have also gotten Hyperacusis on both ears on Jan 28, which also hasn't gotten better.

11. New Guy
      Doh

New Guy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Can men go buy a new power tool? That might be a bad idea. Never mind. :banghead:

Walking through the forest has done wonders for me when I'm stressed about t or anything else. The only problem is as when I leave the forest the stress returns.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Some plants around the house and relaxing music works wonders ...
      love glynis

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
      • Like Like x 1