Tinnitus Spikes With Sounds Including White Noise/Fan/Rain

Discussion in 'Support' started by martin12, Oct 16, 2014.

1. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      Curious if anyone else is struggling with there T spiking to normal noise, including masking sounds?

My T is quietest if i'm in a room of total silence. Meaning no sound at all. Any sort of sound will for the most part spike my T.

I have great difficulty sleeping with Fan or air conditioner on as my T becomes intolerable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      Yep, my t increased in volume about a month ago. Things like the laptop, fan etc really make it go mental. I bought a fan thinking it would distract me going asleep but t was roaring when I woke up.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Last night I slept with very little white noise for the first time in ages. My ears feel more clear and my H doesn't seem as bad. Very very small improvement but got me thinking....

I wonder if white noise all night is hard on already damaged ears?

• Like Like x 1
    4. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      @Telis

My ears need a rest from all the white noise and crickets. White noise is a lot of sound, full frequency spectrum.
      I used to have white noise all night but it can be taxing on ears - depending on volume and speakers or headphones. If you can, give ears a break from all nighters, my 2 cents.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks Larry. Maybe I need to set a timer. Or maybe try pink noise which isn't full spectrum.

6. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Water sounds--even played at a low volume--do help me. But not all water sounds are created equal. Some can be quite shrill; others are very soft. Get a good app with lots of sounds and experiment. I use this one:

http://www.ipnossoft.com/app/relax-melodies/

Stay away from chimes. Stick with water and perhaps wind sounds. This app lets you mix many together and you can control the volume of each sound.

I think you'll like it! :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      @Telis
      I look at it like a workout. Mix it up and give ears a rest when you can. They need it from my experience and I've been in audio for 35 years.

I hope you made it back to the gym from time to time. I'm older than you at 58 but was going 4 -5 days a week, 1.5 to 2 hours a workout before T hit.

It's so much harder now and recovery is a bitch. One workout a week does me in, if I can manage going! But it feels good to push through the misery and muscle loss and get some endorphins going as I try and reclaim parts of my life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks so much jazz

9. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      That's really good you are getting back to the gym. I'm the same...about one workout per week at the moment. T definitely takes the wind out of my sails as well. Guess we do the best we can with what we have at the moment. Something to build on anyway.

Cheers man

• Agree Agree x 1