Tinnitus Suddenly Gone Up in Volume

Discussion in 'Support' started by simb999, Feb 5, 2019.

1. simb999

simb999 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Hi all, I've had tinnitus for 3 months now and it had settled to a pattern and loudness.

This past 2 hours though a low hum started and this has turned into a high pitched tone, extremely loud.

Just had a shower and could hear it over that, panicking a bit to be honest.

Has anyone else experienced the volume going up so dramatically?

2. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Try not to fret too much, it'll make it worse for yourself. I'm pretty sure 99.9% of people on this forum have experienced an increase of some kind. I've had fleeting tinnitus "sessions" that lasted till bed time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      simb999

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Thanks pdodge, trying to stay calm, thus happened last week and it did settle overnight, its so unpredictable, ruined my evening but then t is pretty good at ruining things! Appreciate your positive response cheers

4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      This has happened to me as wel. I’ll get fullness in my ear and then a sudden loud tinnitus sound will follow. Sometimes it lasts 30 seconds and sometimes it lasts 4 hours.

5. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      How is your T now? What was your noise exposure?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      simb999

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Hi , sorry for the late reply, I got a hearing aid as had hearing loss in my right ear and this has really helped, when the hearing aid is in the t disappears in my right ear and just get a bit in other ear. Unfortunately , since February I seem to have a pulsatile rumble in my right ear, this seems to come and go , it can be there for 24 hours then go completely for 24hours and so on, cannot find what the trigger is but I don't find it as bothersome as the normal high pitched t knowing it can go away. Hope you're coping with yours well and seeing improvements.

7. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      How does t reduce with hearing aids?

How do audiologists determine whether you need a hearing aid or not?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      simb999

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      Hi Pete,I had a hearing test when I had ent appointment and have hearing loss in right ear, the noise in that ear was loud, heard it everywhere except the shower, had to mask it to watch TV etc. Got an appointment for hearing aid fitted at local hospital which fortunately has a tinnitus clinic. When I got the hearing aid couldn't believe how loud everything was, the audiologist explained that was how my hearing should be and it completely blanks out the tinnitus in that ear. I assume the hearing aid fills in the gap in my hearing so negates the tinnitus? Have you had a hearing test?

9. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @simb999 My understanding is that a hearing aid amplifies sound? Not sure I would want that in my ear?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      simb999

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I was worried about that and the first month or so I was convinced it had made my t worse but it hasn't, have you got any hearing loss?

11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I had two hearing tests after the onset and the one at the ENT appointment.

I have hearing loss but was told I didn't need a hearing aid. So, I don't know what I am supposed to do.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      simb999

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise exposure
      I would push to at least be allowed to try them, if your healthcare system won't provide them maybe try a high street chain who do free trials? Then if it did help you could go back and tell your ent ?